Tuesday, September 5, 2006
Via Digg, here are favorite programming quotes. Like these:
- “Trying to outsmart a compiler defeats much of the purpose of using one.” - Kernighan & Plauger
- “For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong.” - H. L. Mencken
- “Even if you’re on the right track, you’ll get run over if you just sit there.” - Will Rogers
- “PHP is a minor evil perpetrated and created by incompetent amateurs, whereas Perl is a great and insidious evil, perpetrated by skilled but perverted professionals.” - Jon Ribbens
Valleywag offers a nifty cheat sheet for what to call tech companies merger rumors (I’m adding some of my own):
- Google + Apple = Gapple
- Sun Microsystems + Apple = Snapple
- Yahoo + Google = Yahoogle
- Yahoo + eBay = Yahweh
- Google + Microsoft = Googlesoft
- Google + eBay = Gbay
- Yahoo + Microsoft = Yahoosoft
- Google + Amazon = Googlezon
- Google + Ask = Gask
- Google + Digg = Gigg
Google CEO Eric Schmidt admitted that he clicks on Google ads all the time, “probably because I want to make sure that everything was working,” as he puts it.
Nathan Weinberg’s comment: “In the search ad industry, we call that click fraud.”
Update: Ionut in the comments points out that clicks from a Google IP range won’t count.
You don’t know yet why you’d want to install Google Desktop? Ionut gives you 10 reasons for starters. (I somehow always ended up uninstalling GD after not using it for longer stretches of time... though it’s definitely an improvement over Windows’ native search.)
>> More posts
This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!