Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Advice for Busy People

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

Friday, June 22, 2007
17 years ago2,238 views

Let's say your email signature doesn't include your name, so you actually always type your name below an email. Let's say your name has 6 letters – like "Joshua" – and you need .2 seconds to type each letter. .2 x 6 is 1.2, and let's say you're quite busy and send 20 emails a day, which makes for 24 seconds a day. There's 365 days in a year, so that's 146 minutes, and let's say you live 77 years (and you start typing emails with 12), then that's (77 – 12) * 146 = 158 hours.
You get the point: if you want to have around 4 additional weeks of holidays this year, stop signing your emails.

TOMHTML [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Gmail does it automatically. Deal with it ;)

((philipp are you angry? =)
http://googlepublicpolicy.blogspot.com/2007/06/censorship-as-trade-barrier.html#comment-3590238042493877900
))

Zim [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

That's a good reason to use the signature feature, very nice :)

Rohit Srivastwa [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

P-h-i-l-i-p-p- -L-e-n-s-s-e-n
15 characters(including space)
.2 x 15 = 3

If Philipp writes 30 mails a day with signature it becomes 90 i.e 1.5 minutes
thats 547 minutes which means 9+ hours

Philipp, stop signing mails (your mails shows that you sign them manually 1 by 1)
OR use aotu signature & you'll save time for 4-5 movies, or some great topics on outer-court ;)

BTW same count holds true for me

Roger Browne [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

zim wrote: > That's a good reason to use the signature feature

An automatic signature wastes 158 hours of my readers' time, so I disable it. If a message benefits from a signature, I'll type it in manually.

(And don't get me started how much time and bandwidth and lawyers' fees are wasted by disclaimers that say "if you are not the intended recipient, don't read this" right at the end of the email.)

Zim [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

That's another good point... But we can't save in everything we do. You are wasting brain processes thinking if it's necesary to put a signature...

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!