Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Douglas Adams source for "google" spelling?

Caleb E [PersonRank 10]

Monday, August 29, 2005
18 years ago

My aunt sent me an etymology of the word "googol" cause it was word of the day on some site. it went like this:

Etymology: This word was coined in 1938 by Milton Sirotta, the 9-year-old nephew of American mathematician, Edward Kasner, when Ed asked him for a name for a very large number. The "Google" spelling was taken by the web search engine from "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" (1979) by Douglas Adams, in which one of Deep Thought's designers asks, "And are you not . . . a greater analyst than the Googleplex Star Thinker in the Seventh Galaxy of Light and Ingenuity which can calculate the trajectory of every single dust particle throughout a five-week Dangrabad Beta sand blizzard?" (No, this isn't an April Fool's gag, but a legitimate word spotted by our friend with the eye for funny words at Lackland Air Force Base in Texas, Ray Johnson.)

so according to this, douglas admas is teh source for the spelling of google. i didnt know that. is it true?

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

I can't wait to read John Battelle's "The Search". Maybe it has the definite answer to this question...

David Johns [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

As a tribute to the Meaning of Liff I thought I'd make a screensaver of the definitions to amuse you while you at home, at work or while you are staying with someone who is particularly boring.

Anyway.. here it is.

www.1realm.biz/liff

If you could link to it – that would be great... Thank you

David

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!