Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Xcavator, Photo Comparison Search  (View post)

Piotr Zgodzinski [PersonRank 4]

Monday, June 25, 2007
17 years ago5,499 views

It does not work at all. It matches color tones only, not content. I've tried five different images, then given up.

James Xuan [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

<<upload your own photo to get best matches returned.>>

This is called "image mining" and is pioneered by the Quaero initiative and will be implemented when the search engine is released

lk [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

Piotr, you probably used a wrong search mode which is designed for matching color rather than content. A better idea how it works you may find watching an introductory movie there.

Zim [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Well, ... it's not as accurate as I thought a photo comparison may be, but it works :)

Matt@TeamXcavator [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

Hey, thanks for the coverage. Your search was on the Rights Managed database, currently only 300K images. Check out the Royalty Free database. We just launched it with 1.8 Million images from iStockphoto – and you are right – the technology works better and better with larger image databases.

By the way, xcavator search technology is not affiliated with 'the Quaero initiative" (?!) Our company, CogniSign, is based in San Francisco.

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Are these really all free? E.g. I found this one from the royaltyfree search, so I don't need to pay anything to use it?

http://www.istockphoto.com/file_closeup/?id=2400539&refnum=CogniSignLLC&Lang=en

Tony Ruscoe [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Royalty Free!= Free

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royalty-free

thomas [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

yeah, microsoft has this in Photosynth.

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Ah, I see.

<<There is also "royalty-free" stock photography. This does not mean that an image may be used without payment. What it means is that a one-time fee or subscription gives the right to use an image in a publication according to the terms agreed upon, with no license fees being paid for further use.>>

James Xuan [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

<<By the way, xcavator search technology is not affiliated with 'the Quaero initiative">>
I never said it was. RTCD! I said it was first announced to be released by the Quaero initiative. That they are doing work on it, leading the field. Maybe I'm saying your site i just a crappy version of something unreleased, but I wouldn't now as Quareo is unreleased.

Matterhorn [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

I tried five examples and got great results on all but one, including trying uploading a photo from my computer. Im pretty impressed – its not perfect but it's a heckuva lot better than what I've seen.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!