Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Yahoo! integrated Flickr photos into image Search

Colin Colehour [PersonRank 10]

Thursday, June 28, 2007
16 years ago2,484 views

Yahoo! made an update to their image search that now includes Flickr photos.

<<Now when you use Yahoo! Image Search, in addition to the billions of images we crawl from the Web, you've got access to over 300 million images from the amazing community of photographers on Flickr.>>

http://www.ysearchblog.com/archives/000466.html

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Search engines are moving towards more integration of their other products in search results. (OK, Yahoo always kind of did that in the past...)

Colin Colehour [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

At least they try to give credit to the photographer in the image results. They will link the Flickr username to the main photo stream page of that user.

If a Flickr username is unique, you could do a search on the username to see what photos pop up in the search results. I tried with one of my accounts and it only found about 330 photos of the 1400 photos I have on Flickr.

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Yes, but it also makes photos from Flickr more visible (the blue link might draw additional attention to the image, and even if not, it *is* another link that can be clicked), hence creating another bonus to storing Flickr over a competitor's product (if you're into SEO). If Google would do the same with Picasa photos on Google Images – e.g. put up a special icon below Picasa-hosted photos – it would also make some people think about switching to Picasa just to get that nice icon (sort of like the Checkout-button-on-Google-SERPs issue). But I don't know if Yahoo ever said their search results are objective, not manually edited etc., like Google used to say...

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!