Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Broken Notifiers

Phil [PersonRank 0]

Wednesday, August 11, 2004
19 years ago

I'm kinda amazed at the reaction some people seem to have had to the temporary alternative utilities downtime caused by a change at Gmail.

As a developer I noticed the problem a couple of days ago and fixed it for libgmail in a short time. I mean, you expect these things when you're using unofficial means of doing things.

For people to start assuming that Google was suddenly evil and whatever was pretty rich, I thought.

For those interested in what actually changed:

One of the main cookies used (named "GV") was perviously set by a piece of Javascript but is now set from the server via a page redirect with a URL parameter named "_sgh". (Any ideas on what it stands for?)

--Phil.

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

19 years ago #

Completely agreed this wasn't by far "evil".

Dave Metzener [PersonRank 1]

19 years ago #

I agree with Philipp. It's ridiculous to complain about changes made to Gmail when the product is still Beta! Of course there are going to be changes. I personally expect them. It's part of the Beta process.

To expect "unofficial" api's to work the same throughout the course of the Beta program is also ridiculous.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!