Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Google Acquired GrandCentral  (View post)

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

Monday, July 2, 2007
17 years ago4,432 views

Some previous discussion:
http://blogoscoped.com/forum/100473.html

James Xuan [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

TechCrunch Crystal Ballâ„¢ lol

Eytan Buchman [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Correct me if I am wrong, but wouldn't this be the perfect venue to deliver audio ads? Get a free number, free incoming calls and all...as long as you listen to a quick ten second ad...

Martin Porcheron [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I think you've hit the nail on the head Eytan. Thinking about it, it would also be good for Google to push its 411 service.

Josue R. [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

[put at-character here]Eytan: as a GC user myself since it came out, i believe it will hurt and anger many existing GC users if Google delivers audio ads before connecting the calls. i would leave GC if they start to do so.

M [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

Whenever there is a rumor that Google is acquiring some company, I try to sign up, assuming that they'll limit registration once it is official. Luckily I did that with GrandCentral. So..... if anyone wants an invite, let me know and I'll send one. It looks like I can do 5, so the first 5 people to email me at gcbetarequest[put at-character here]gmail.com will get invited. If I get more invites I'll send them out.

Haochi [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I was trying to log in after the new, but ...
<<This account is locked. Too many failed login attempts were made. Please contact support for assistance.>>
LOL!

GT Staff [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

Techcrunch Crsystal ball alright! :p

It's a common fear that whenever Google acquires something the company will populate it with ads. There's nothing wrong really with this kind of speculation because Google indeed is an advertising company (among other things). But I think Google has been careful enough to not harm the user experience too much (if at all) by adding the ads. Google has lots of creative individuals working on making advertisements work for the user rather than against them. Again, they do that because they don't want to lose their users which would also mean losing their source of revenue.

I took a quick glance at what GC is offering and it's really amazing what they come up with. They have very innovative and useful features, including visual voicemail. I think they're a worthy Google acquisition. Lucky Google. :)

Realbrisk [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

I have some invites email me at "username" @gmail.com

Realbrisk [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

I am done with my invites others please share

DPic [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

They disabled my favorite feature! You can no longer upload your own mp3's as ringers :(

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!