Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Yahoo SmartAss  (View post)

Matt Cutts [PersonRank 10]

Wednesday, July 4, 2007
17 years ago9,345 views

Hey, I like the new layout!

My only point in my post is that I think targeting the current page a surfer is on is more powerful than behavioral targeting. I'm still open to the idea of behavioral targeting working well though.

bryain dalnass [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

man dude yahoo is so boring,i means theres nothing to do.they need to ad some games before they go out of bisness.becaue sooner or later people are going to get board.a friend of mine is tryin to bring yahoo down,but its pointless,he is just tryin to prove yahoo sucks balls.its to borin so they better add some new games or people are going to start quiting.so add some frekin games now!

[1384 unnecessary exclamation marks removed – Tony]

Martin Porcheron [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Matt, I'm pretty sure if Google were to do behavioural targeting, the media would begin promoting Google as the anti-christ and accuse it of being a data-whore. Guess thats a downside to being a market leader, you get much greater scrutiny.

[put at-character here]Bryain
Your comment is illegible and I am not in a mood to try and understand exactly what you are on about. But might I suggest you simple search for Yahoo! Games (such a site has existed for many years).

Colin Colehour [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Oops, the layout didn't like the ton of exclamation points that Bryain dainass added.

Inferno [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Is it only me who is seeing the contents of this page not wrapping properly?

Anyways. Why did Yahoo call it Smart Ass instead of Smart Ads? ;)

TOMHTML [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Less than one day to destroy the layout, poor Philipp...

Tony Ruscoe [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

<< Less than one day to destroy the layout, poor Philipp... >>

This is now fixed. (It actually used to happen in the old design too.)

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

> I'm still open to the idea of behavioral targeting
> working well though.

I wonder if you have some dislike for behaviorial targeting for the same reason some of us (well, at least me) dislike personalization. Behavioral targeting makes the content that's served be "stuck" in your past, not your present needs & wants, just like personalized search results.*

*Well, I think it makes sense to e.g. remember your last home location in a from-to search on Google Maps. Even though it would be nice if Google would offer a truly international site, because that helps people see someone else's view point. maps.google.com for instance right now opens up with a map of the USA. And to go back to web search results, what is so bad when a person rooted in Middle East culture gets the same search results than one rooted in say US culture? Yeah, they might get stuff that shocks them, but these are the exact issues we need to deal with in the future, to find some common grounds. Delivering the same everywhere actually helps understand other cultures.

> This is now fixed. (It actually used to happen in
> the old design too.)

(I really need to fix that in the code in the future :))

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!