Google Blogoscoped

Forum

just some smple stats please...

dbOSS [PersonRank 1]

Wednesday, July 4, 2007
16 years ago2,293 views

I've been searching around with no luck, without filters, trying to find just ONE simple statistic..... How many page views per day does Google.com have? I'm not looking for accuracy, just an approximation so that I can predict sales, profits and valuations of other companies, based on the number of hits per day.

Here is why I am looking: I can't reconcile these numbers I've compiled below, comparing the value of a "view per day", between Google.com and Answers.com. The revenue for Google seems way too high. Perhaps the ## of hits I have is way too low?

My notes to myself, so far:

Symbol:ANSW
Answers.com:
Statistics:

-- Market cap = 100M
-- Sales = 10M /yr GROSS sales
-- GROSS profit before overhead = 5M ??
-- Daily hits = 4M /day
-- Value of a single hit in a single day, will result in =

>> $ 2.40 per year in sales revenue
>> $ 1.20 per year in gross profit revenue
>> $25.00 In market cap valuation

-- employees = 53
-- profit = none

And so, in predicting market cap, each hit per day = 1 hit x $25 ---- so, 4 mil hits/ per day, = $100 Mil in company valuation IF the company is UNPROFITABLE!!!

These answers.com numbers are from their k-10 for 2006, and are likely to be close.

For a profitable company, like Google, it should be higher, but not 30+ times as much.

I only have clues of Google's hits each day, which I've heard were in the range of 200 Million per day. If so, to reach their valuation of 160 Billion, using the same metrics as Answers, you'd have to assume a "Google view per day" was worth x $800. [200 Mil x 800 = 160 Bil] This seems way too high.

200 Mil hits per day
12 Bil sales per year
   6 Bil in gross Profit
160 Bil Market cap

Results in a "Google view per day" worth of:

>> $ 60.00 per year in sales revenue
>> $ 30.00 per year in gross profit revenue
>> $800.00 In market cap valuation

So, is the 200 Million HITS even in the ballpark?

I can buy the market valuation, since Answers hasn't made a profit, and the net profit of Google is about 30%. But, I can't buy the sales part of it. What am I missing??

Haochi [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Alexa: http://www.alexa.com/data/details/traffic_details?url=google.com

dbOSS [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

AIthough I did study Alexa before, but concluded I couln't derive the raw hit numbers, I did find this helpful:

global reach:

answers.com = .4 %
google.com = 24 %

So, the delta on these numbers are x 60. If we know the 4 mil hits, x 60, we would assume Google has about 240 Mil hits / day. This would definitley be in the ballpark of + 100%, or – 50%.

These are measured, and skewed by counting hits trhough Alexa's toolbar, but is at least partial validation. Is there anyone that is projecting what they think the real raw numbers are? I couldn't find anything in Google's corporate literature or SEC reports.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!