Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Telling Google Your Domain Moved  (View post)

TOMHTML [PersonRank 10]

Thursday, July 5, 2007
17 years ago4,467 views

Even with that, Google continues to show "blog.outer-court.com" in the results ;-)

Michael Schaap [PersonRank 3]

17 years ago #

> Hmmm... wouldn’t it be neat if Google’s tools would understand permanent redirect headers, and do all this for you automatically after some time passed?

Now that would be nice. :-)

I'd register some dummy domain, set up all the necessary Google services, then put in a permanent redirect to, say, google.com.
Wait a while, and I can access the webmaster tools, analytics, etc. for Google...

– Michael

Tony Ruscoe [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Michael, sorry but that obviously wouldn't work... ;-)

Webmaster Tools wouldn't be a problem as it wouldn't be able to verify the Google.com domain as being yours, assuming it was still looking for the same verification file / code as before of course. You can add Google.com now if you like but you won't see much that you can't already find already unless you can verify the domain.

And there's nothing to stop you adding Google.com to Analytics either. Again, you wouldn't be able to see anything though unless your unique profile code was embedded in their pages.

Remember, all Philipp's saying is that Google would simply go and change the domains in all the apps – and that's something we can already do now – so there's no reason to believe it would cause any issues...

Michael Schaap [PersonRank 3]

17 years ago #

> Michael, sorry but that obviously wouldn't work... ;-)

Yeah, good points. I hadn't thought this through, apparently. :-[

– Michael

Martin Porcheron [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I found Google easy in the past, granted at the time Analytics, Sitemaps didn't exist. I moved a site from a .co.uk domain to a .com domain and 301d the .co.uk. Google added the .com within a week and removed the .co.uk after a little while (I submitted it to the URL Remove consle).

Yahoo! updated a little while after Google. Ask.com refuses to remove the .co.uk domain (they actually have an old meta descriptions from when the site was online). I'm kinda hoping that one day, Ask will recognise that it has been a 301 for two years, but I get the feeling that because my site is relatively low traffic, their "Algorithm" has decided against using the .com domain.

James Xuan [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I'm not really into this thing but I read them all and I have to sav that :-[ is a smilie I've never seen before. It makes me happy :-[:-[:-[:-[:-[:-[:-[:-[:-[:-[:-[:-[:-[:-[:-
[:-[:-[:-[:-[:-[:-
[:-[:-[:-[:-[:-[:-[:-[:-[:-[:-[:-[:-[:-[:-[:-
[:-[:-[:-[:-[:-[:-[:-[:-[:- [:-[:-[:-[:-[:-[:-[:-[:
-[:-[:-[:-[:-[:-[:-[:-
[:-[:-[:-[:-[:-[:-[:-[:-[:-[:-[:-[:-[:-[: -[:-[:-[:-[
:-[:-[:-[:-[:-[:-[:-[:-[:-[:-[:-[:-[
:-[:-[:-[:-[:-[:-[:-[:-[:-[:-[:-[:-[:-[: -[:-[:-[:-[:-
[:-[:-[:-[:-[:-[:-[:-[:-[:-[:-[:-[:-[:
-[:-[:-[:-[:-[:-[:-[:-[:-[:-[:-[:-[:-[:-[:-[:-[:-[:-[
:-[:-[:-[:-[:-[:-[:-[:-[:-[:-[:-[:-[:-[:-[:-
[:-[:-[

Josue R. [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

last Monday, i moved a company site to a new domain – today, Google has index all existing pages... i did the move via mod_rewrite rules (301's). Worked like a charm.

(PS. the previous domain had no PR... but glad it turned out well during the process and quickly.... if this at all is relevant)

Art-One [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

very usefull overview, thx
(automation would be nice, but it's still a long way to go untill everything will be automated... and would we really like that kind of world?)

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!