Forum

Yahoo! photos closing on September 20, 2007

Rohit Srivastwa [PersonRank 10]

Friday, July 6, 2007
17 years ago3,618 views

I just got a mail from Yahoo! saying that they are closing Yahoo! photos

[snip]
Dear Yahoo! Photos user,

For some time now, we've supported two great photo sharing services: Yahoo! Photos and Flickr. But even good things come to an end, and we've decided to close Yahoo! Photos to focus all our efforts on Flickr — the award-winning photo sharing community that TIME Magazine has called "completely addictive."

We will officially close Yahoo! Photos on Thursday, September 20, 2007, at 9 p.m. PDT. Until then, we are offering you the opportunity to move to another photo sharing service (Flickr, KODAK Gallery, Shutterfly, Snapfish, or Photobucket), download your original-resolution photos back to your computer, or buy an archive CD from our featured partner

[/snip]

http://closing.photos.yahoo.com/

Brinke Guthrie [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

This has been known for awhile---I migrated my personal photos to Shutterfly. Doesn't take long at all, they do it for you.

Inferno [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

So are they giving up already... ha!

David Hetfield [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Just to let you know, Yahoo! gave up her competition against Google a long time ago. :)

And these are great news! this means more PicasaWeb users :D

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I don't agree with you. Yahoo focuses on the future and the future is Flickr.

17 years ago #

You don't agree with Ionut?
I'm not making it up. That's what Yahoo! said.

17 years ago #

*With what

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I don't agree with:

<< Yahoo! gave up her competition against Google >>

That was a misinterpreted affirmation and was only about search, not about other services.

17 years ago #

Yeah, but search is the core of everything! :P

Martin Porcheron [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Yahoo! know they can't beat Google at search so they're going after other markets such as contextual advertising and web 2.0 communities (something that Google doesn't really have).

James Xuan [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

<<...move to another photo sharing service (Flickr, KODAK Gallery, Shutterfly, Snapfish, or Photobucket...>>
<<And these are great news! this means more PicasaWeb users>>
Weird how Picasaweb isn't on the list ;-)

Inferno [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Google has already been making too many secret plans. I believe if they reveal those it will hit the Yahooz like a hurricane (or thunder may be)... ;) Google has the ideas that no 'Yahoo' has even dreamed of: STORING ALL USER FILES, MAKING THE INFORMATION OF UNIVERSE AVAILABLE AT THE USERS' CLICKS, (TAKING OVER THE WORLD) etc...

17 years ago #

lol...

Don't forget 1GB of email storage.

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

> ***Philipp, please give some way to edit post***

It's on the radar Rohit, I'll think about it (I now edited this for you...).

James Xuan [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Sounds cool. 1 problem. You would need a password

17 years ago #

Yeah, it sounds cool, but don't forget this forum won't be " simple "anymore. (Which i think is very special).

Letting people edit their own posts would be neat, but it won't be as it used to be.

Think about it.

17 years ago #

Plus, think how complex it would be. You'll need to get your own account, your own icon, your own personrank all over again, which will basically make this forum as the other forums.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!