Google Blogoscoped

Forum

[Meta] Forum post views

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

Thursday, July 12, 2007
17 years ago2,836 views

There's a new feature on the profile page (linked from forum names) – if you've created new threads in the past you can now see the page views for those next to the link, as well as a top 10 of the most viewed threads (it's below the 100 latest posts).

E.g.:
http://blogoscoped.com/forum/posts-by-Search-Engines-Web.com.html

Niraj Sanghvi [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Cool, that's a pretty handy feature!

A related suggestion I have is since you are storing the forumName in a cookie (for pre-filling the comment form), could you provide a link somewhere for "My Profile Page" so you can quickly get to your own profile page? This could probably appear at the bottom of thread pages near the comment box to avoid creating clutter. It'd make it more convenient than trying to find an old post to get to it, or typing it in manually.

Rohit Srivastwa [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Nice feature
I liked the "User's first post" thing at the bottom

Colin Colehour [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Philipp, That is really cool! Do you have something like that planned for Blog posts?

Tony Ruscoe [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Colin, I was wondering the same. It would be good to have "Most Popular Posts" in the side bar or something. I guess the confusion comes when you have to count views. For example, does viewing the home page count as a view for all posts on it at that moment...?

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Maybe Google Analytics will one day give us a gadget to do that (or is there one now to show off on blogs)? I suppose I would need to fit it my log-in data. Right now, I think logging all views could bring the server to its knees – right now, all posts are archived, static HTML pages so that in case they get linked from say the Digg frontpage, there's no more database connection needed...

James Xuan [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Cool

David Hetfield [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I Like it Philipp. Real cool!

Ludwik Trammer [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I'd like to see on the profile page not only comments made by the person, but also his articles....

Zim [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

It's a good feature, and I liked to remember where was my first post :)
My big doubt is: how can we "secure" or accounts? As far as I know, anyone can post as me or any of the other users if there is no log-in or registration.

Ludwik Trammer [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Oh, and this list should be named "top viewed threads", not "posts"...

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!