Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Google Earth "in the Wrong Hands" (Video)  (View post)

Bob2.0 [PersonRank 0]

Wednesday, July 18, 2007
16 years ago4,383 views

Just some silly assumptions...

You'll find a lot of red cars if you look around..and even on the highway you would find a lot of red cars

You don't know the exact time when the photos were taken. You could also have parked your car somewhere at a highway stop at this would have been another red car.

If you really search the whole highway and sidestreets for a red car...get a life or a job ;)

It would be much easier to just make a paternity test if you are unsure that you are not the father.

Jeremy [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

Slate is owned by Microsoft who is being trampled by Google. Could the person who made this video, which gives unfounded concerns to those who know no better, be a sad attempt to try to scare would be users of google products?

Ludwik Trammer [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

I saw this on digg yesterday and I think it's just lame. You could make a lot of great videos about power of Google's satellite imagery (and now also the Street View), but this one is more about some random madman and is entirely based on author's lack of understanding of the technology.

Yhancik [PersonRank 2]

16 years ago #

[put at-character here] Jeremy

and that the risk to scare people away from the very similar Live Maps ?
It doesn't make much sense...

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Very shallow perception of Google Earth. Most of the data is 1-2 years old and you don't know the date when it was taken.

Keith Tyler [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

Someone should tell this FUD-spreading Luddite that not only does GMaps sat photos come from different (and freely purchasable) sources, they don't at all come from the same day, and most certainly not at the same time. And Street View sure doesn't line up timewise with the sat/aerial photos. His obsessed protagonist would have better luck chartering a plane or hiring a PI to follow his girlfriend than he would using GMaps/Earth.

CrabHands [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

humor people. humor.

Jester [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

People, it's satire... come on!

Ludwik Trammer [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

> People, it's satire... come on!

That's right... just not very good one. I mean – good jokes should still be based on a true observation.

ranon [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

> Slate is owned by Microsoft

That is not true. Slate is owned by the Washington Post. The post bought it from Microsoft in Dec 2004.

justinf [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

it's an entire soap opera made entirely from Google Earth imagery.

now thats cool. i'd love to see more of this kind of film making.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!