Google Blogoscoped

Forum

FCC versus Google versus ATT & Verizon

Search-Engines-Web.com [PersonRank 10]

Sunday, July 22, 2007
16 years ago2,968 views

http://www.techcrunch.com/2007/07/22/the-fcc-needs-to-listen-to-google/

This conflict is getting more complicated and adversarial by the day.

Read the update on these compromises and ultimatums.

How does anyone think this will end?

It would be intriguing if Google ends up having more pull with the FCC than Verizon and ATT – 'combined'. We are talking about a company that has only been in existence for 10 YEARS!!!!!

James Xuan [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Open for all!

Colin Colehour [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

I would love to see a new company purchase the spectrum and finally give broadband companies some real competition. In my area, I can pay about $50 dollars for cable broadband or $50 dollars for DSL broadband. And for some reason if I want to get a wireless cellphone card for my computer, it would be about $69 for me to get wireless internet access. Why can't I get unlimited broadband for $30 dollars or less?

Search-Engines-Web.com [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

http://googlepublicpolicy.blogspot.com/2007/07/restoring-competitive-balance-to.html

Just elaborates even further on their public Policy blog

stefan2904 [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

30€ for 2mbit flatrate (dsl) or 15€ for 3gig(traffic) mobile (usb modem)

Colin Colehour [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Google suggested 4 types of "open" platforms for the soon to be auctioned 700 Mhz spectrum.

* Open applications: consumers should be able to download and utilize any software applications, content, or services they desire;
   * Open devices: consumers should be able to utilize a handheld communications device with whatever wireless network they prefer;
   * Open services: third parties (resellers) should be able to acquire wireless services from a 700 MHz licensee on a wholesale basis, based on reasonably nondiscriminatory commercial terms; and
   * Open networks: third parties (like internet service providers) should be able to interconnect at a technically feasible point in a 700 MHz licensee's wireless network.

The FCC has come out with its set of rules for the auction today.

<< In essence, the FCC embraced two of the four openness conditions that we suggested several weeks ago: (1) open applications, the right of consumers to download and utilize any software applications or content they desire; and (2) open devices, the right of consumers to utilize their handheld communications device with whatever wireless network they prefer. We understand that the Commission also may have added real teeth to these two requirements, by plugging some of the more obvious loopholes and giving consumers a tangible remedy for any carrier violations. >>

http://googlepublicpolicy.blogspot.com/2007/07/signs-of-real-progress-at-fcc.html

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!