Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Google one-word "urls"

Bill Mac [PersonRank 9]

Tuesday, July 24, 2007
16 years ago3,074 views

I often type the names of Google services directly into the address bar and use the "Browse By Name" result to get directly to Google services.

I don't always access urls this way, but it's helpful if you find Google's different url schemes difficult to keep straight, as I sometimes do. But it makes me question whether Google unfairly favours its own products in the case of generic keywords ("maps", for instance).

These don't work (i.e., Google's "Browse By Name" is not confident enough to auto-redirect to the first result and instead sends you the SERP for that keyword combo): notebook, news, calendar, others.

Obvious ones: gmail, picasa, blogger, orkut, youtube, etc. Of course we should get the correct service.

Not so obvious: reader, images, video, bookmarks, groups, analytics, web history, web master, docs, talk, finance, page creator, maps, and various others. These keywords always bring me to the corresponding Google service. How does Google consistently rate number one for such generic keywords?

Of course, the mere fact that I am a member of so many of its services may cause Google to excessively weight the personalization influence and give me what it knows I want. I don't feel like doing a comprehensive test, but I know that at least some of the keywords perform the same way when I am signed out of web history.

What are your "favourite" Google one-word "urls"? (I wonder if we all will get the same results)

Rohit Srivastwa [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

my fav one words urls are

orkut
adsense
analytics
gmail

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

There are many words that work this way. I wrote a post about this last year:
http://googlesystem.blogspot.com/2006/09/easy-way-to-access-google-sites.html

pooin [PersonRank 8]

16 years ago #

mine are

picasaweb
maps
igoogle
analytics
youtube

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!