Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Peak Points, a Google Analytics Suggestion  (View post)

James Xuan [PersonRank 10]

Tuesday, July 24, 2007
16 years ago7,151 views

Nice!

TOMHTML [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Great!

Ryan [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

I'd like to easily be able to identify my newest incoming links – like wordpress does

On many of my sites, when people like it's because it's a new news story or what not about them... so I'd like to be able to know so I can participate in the discussion.

Ryan [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

oh yeah, I'd also like to be able to search for a visit history based upon IP. On many of my sites, people will find us via adwords, then come back 2-3 days later to make a purchase.

I'd like to see which page they came in on, what they looked at, how many times they came back, etc... so I know which pages need to do a better job of driving the sale.

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

You could also receive email alerts for high traffic. Also each day could have a label with the most popular pages (like in Google Finance's charts).

Hashim [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

I would love GA to measure outside stats, like Technorati rank, SERP position for certain keywords, etc.

I would also like to know whether some of the upticks or downturns in traffic are happening to other sites in my category. Then I could tell if the traffic pattern is seasonal, or specific to something I'm doing wrong or right on my site.

TOMHTML [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

It should work also for brutal fall. And the cause could be "Traffic from search-engines : -60%" or something like that.

rankitup [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

It's a brilliant idea. Yes there is a lot of improvements to fantasize about. Like recording the movements of an ip number to see how a user is navigating. Sure there is the overlay, but it can be more useful and sexy.

But as analytics is today, I'm very happy with it.

Martin [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

Nothing new, but I dearly miss click paths in Analytics.

Oh, and when I do a cross reference ("segment") of some view (e.g. content drilldown) with "browser", why does it aggregate the browser types? I like to see how many visitors use IE7 vs IE6 vs older. Can't do that :-(This is one thing that got worse compared to the old Urchin interface. Although the new interface is generally simply amazing.

Zim [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

I'd like to see this feature... It's a nice idea :)

Daniela Trifone [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

To me this feature does not makes any sense for serious web analysis, we are forgetting about the offline world here: what about peaks caused by an article appeared on a magazine or by a tv campaign?

Google is not able to explain this kind of phenomena, so why we are asking her to guess?

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Daniela, I think you've found a fourth variant for that label: "Offline Mention". When the analytics software finds out that the peak is caused mainly by non-referrer entrances, in particular to the top level page of a domain, it could guess it's due to an offline campaign. This is still valuable input for further research, I think, even though Google won't be able to guess exactly what offline campaign is responsible. And it also doesn't make the other variants of peak analaysis less useful...

AK [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

I am a starter and would prefer to use something simple and easy to use, I tried Google Analytics but I have shifted to GoStats.com, it is fairly simple and easy to use.

[HTML removed. -Philipp]

FofR [PersonRank 2]

16 years ago #

Using HitTail.com I can monitor my recent referrers (in almost real time, updates every 30 seconds or so) and the regularity of visitors for each of my sites. It's not really designed for this purpose but it is a feature that I dearly wish Analytics had.

After I make a news article or something that could be popular I periodically check the influx of visitors, then if I get flooded with hits I can quickly act. This has saved me many times over.

Webmaster [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

One thing that I wish I could do with Google Analytics is keep a diary of changes on my site. When I advertise offline, I would be able to enter it into the diary and Google Analytics could overlay this information so that I can see its effect better.

TOMHTML [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Google Analytics is strange today. Yesterday, all my website have received less than 50 visitors... WTF? Other bug?

SuperJason [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

RANKTREND.COM!!! (http://www.RankTrend.com)

That's exactly what we're doing. You can associate events with your rank, revenue, diggs, etc.

Niraj Sanghvi [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Tom, I've got the same issue as you...after weeks of consistent visitor numbers, on Saturday it shows half as many visitors as usual, and for yesterday it shows a single visitor. I'm sure something's broken because my own logs show no deviation from the usual.

Is this a problem for everyone using Analytics, or has this only affected a few people?

16 years ago #

Update: There's a discussion thread about this issue on Google Groups:
http://groups.google.com/group/analytics-help-troubleshoot/browse_thread/thread/6c441256217e49c2/431a169a21151c12

Rohit Srivastwa [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

I track visitors by two methods: analytics & statcounter
Strange but true that analytics results are not accurate

Statcounter gives me a real time report which also proves that its more accurate than analytics

as a general view, if my statcounter shows 100 visits, analytics will show something around 60-70 only

I'm not sure why this happens.

16 years ago #

The fact that there's a real time report doesn't prove anything about accuracy...it's possible that Google is catching more bots and spammers and marking them as illegitimate hits than Statcounter is (and this could possibly explain the delay in reporting as well). I'm fairly sure this is what is going on because my own logging via php results in significantly higher numbers than Analytics shows me too.

But technically if a spambot comes to your site, would you want this to count as a hit? Probably not because this is not a true visitor, and its behavior could lead you to draw misleading conclusions about your traffic flow, visitor information (i.e. browsers, operating systems, etc), and more.

At any rate, Analytics had some major issues this past weekend but supposedly everything will be back to normal sometime today:
http://analytics.blogspot.com/2007/07/reporting-delay-update.html

Webmaster [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

Yes SuperJason, RankTrend might do a similar job, but if you read their terms of service you will see how much of a raw deal that website is giving people.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!