Google Blogoscoped

Forum

What is the meaning of "Blogoscoped"

Hong Xiaowan [PersonRank 10]

Monday, July 30, 2007
16 years ago3,812 views

In fact, I did not know meaning of this word although some friends asked me so. And I alway give them my understanding.

I can feel the meaning of this word. Who can explain the exact meaning of "Blogoscoped" to me?

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

The blog was originally named Googlosophy Blogoscoped ("googlosophy" being the "science of Google"). The name wasn't supposed to sound too serious. I imagine a blogoscope to be a microscope in blog form, which shows something more detailed. And Google Blogoscoped, well, it's like "Google microscoped" (zoomed in to clear detail) I guess. (I don't know if that makes too much sense, and being no native speaker I don't really know what images and associations "microscoped," or "blogoscoped," bring up!) But a little later I changed "Googlosophy" to "Google" after reading through the Google trademark guidelines, which say you're not supposed to use word plays like "googlicious" and stuff...

http://horticulture.coafes.umn.edu/sites/89c81b82-b540-417a-96b4-5b46174ccd79/uploads/antique_microscope.jpg

stefan2904 [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

> "it's like "Google microscoped" (zoomed in to clear detail)"

absolutely clear!

TOMHTML [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Thank you Hong for your question, I've never thought about that. I've never realized that "blogoscoped" was a word completely invented by Philipp ^^

Josue R. [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

i believe this was the last piece of the puzzle of "Blogoscoped", the meaning behind the site... i now feel complete =)

16 years ago #

[put at-character here]TOMHTML
Wecome.
Blogoscoped have nice feeling. Google Blogoscoped like a old classic fashion brand. Good invent.

16 years ago #

I recently asked a native speaker what "blogoscoped" sounds like, 'cause I can't really tell. His answer: when he first saw that the word, he thought of endoscopy/ colonoscopy. So that would mean putting a camera up Google's behind?! Oh well, I think we should switch topics ;)

Sohil [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Thanks Hong and Philipp. I always imagined Blogoscoped meant a compilation of blogs or something like that.

/pd [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

oh well to me its' its google blogs (news) that get's scoped out.. ..

like to a scope document..but then this is just a blog ..so its a in scoping is in blog format!!

Tony Ruscoe [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Just to add my thoughts... I never really thought about the etymology of the word until I read this thread. I kinda likened it to the word "blogosphere" and just thought I *knew* what it meant. I guess that sounds a bit weird knowing that it's not a real word now.

I certainly didn't liken it to "endoscopy" or "microscope". I think /pd's description is probably the closest to my original understanding.

BTW, considering Philipp made the word up, isn't it strange that the previous owner of the blogoscoped.com domain created the name in his head...? ;-)

Ref: http://blogoscoped.com/archive/2007-07-03-n17.html

16 years ago #

Maybe the previous owner have this domain after Google Blogoscoped.

16 years ago #

> Maybe the previous owner have this domain
> after Google Blogoscoped.

Yes, it was definitely afterwards. I don't remember how long afterwards, might have been a year or so when the domain blogoscoped.com was still free.

Considering there's so many valid definitions for this, I now officially declare "blogoscoped" to be an open word free for your own meaning! :) I received the below searching for "scoped", I didn't even realize what that word means:

http://www.coyotecorners.net/assets/scoped%20yote.jpg

James Xuan [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

I'll add it to Urban Dictionary!

16 years ago #

Cool

16 years ago #

I try just

16 years ago #

?

16 years ago #

Here is the defenition until it gets put through by editors http://add.urbandictionary.com/verify.php?code=aa2d7e84c2&function=submit

16 years ago #

Oh, it should have all the other definitions in there too, not just mine! :)

16 years ago #

They can add them when it gets submitted

Travis Harris [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

I must say I always thought it meant scoped out too... scoping something out is usually a focusing on, like in the scope of a gun, or microscope... or the scope of your job, or the scope of a technical artical

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!