Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Add Better Pages to Your Google Results?  (View post)

James Xuan [PersonRank 10]

Thursday, August 2, 2007
16 years ago3,938 views

That'll do pig, that'll do

Joe Dolson [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

So...if you already know of the best resource, why are you searching in the first place?

The only value I can really see to this is to hope you can game the search engines --- and that's a pretty dubious perk.

I suppose you could use it as a sort of pseudo-bookmark resource in your Google account.

Martin Porcheron [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

I wonder if this result is used for the I'm Feeling Lucky button, I hope it is.

[put at-character here]Joe Dolson
I see your point, but if users do this, then Google can learn, but as you pointed out, SEOs would just try and game this.

Jaan Kanellis [PersonRank 3]

16 years ago #

Isn't this similar to:

Click Here to add "WHOEVER" expertise to your Google search results with Google Co-op

Rohit Srivastwa [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Has anyone tried doing it?
Does that new link get added in results?
In how much time?
Any verification process behind that?

I don't think Google will blindly add user submitted URL that easily.
If you are trying to play SEO game, then they *are* the SE,

I'm sure there would be a verification process behind this submission

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Google adds the page at the top of results, but only for you.

Bernard Farrell [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

I wonder how this relates to Google's custom search engine technology.

I'd love to allow any user of a custom engine to suggest new sites and have them in a list of sites, but currently they don't allow it. Though they have recently added custom search engines for businesses.

Note: you can't find me using Google search for my name, my blog is at http://bernardfarrell.com/blog/blogger.html.

Kaila Colbin [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

I have to agree with Joe here; if you already know what you're looking for, why are you searching in the first place? Forgetfulness doesn't cut it either, IMHO. Presumably you already have a means of accessing the site you like in order to obtain its URL, so why would you ever Google it? Very strange...

Tony Ruscoe [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Kaila, Ionut gives a good reason for this in his blog's comments:

<< Easy. Let's say you know a great site with C# tutorials: csharptricks.com, but it's not in the top 10 results (maybe not even in the top 100 results) for [C#].

You're searching for [C#] to find other great resources and Google offers you the option to place csharptricks.com at the top of the results. Now you can search for [C#] and easily access your favorite sites.

A OneBox for Bookmarks would be almost equivalent. >>

http://googlesystem.blogspot.com/2007/08/sticky-google-search-results.html#6124229137698990760

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!