Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Google Custom Search Blog Hacked?  (View post)

Hong Xiaowan [PersonRank 10]

Tuesday, August 7, 2007
16 years ago5,959 views

It is also my dreams. Maybe someday I can hack Google Official Blog too. So High. If I can. So difficult for me, I think.

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

(Added an update, the blog is back to normal)

16 years ago #

So quick

16 years ago #

(Added another update)

Phil Defer [PersonRank 3]

16 years ago #

Hehh that was funny. From the style of the post it sounds like a very first draft of the service's description, then the employee clicked the wrong button or something =)

TOMHTML [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Update 2 > yes I think it's that.
I think in their admin console, the "mark as spam" button is close to the "publish" button ^^

alek [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Wonder how fast the response would have been if it has been just Joe-Normal-Blogspot user?!? ;-)

SirNuke [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

Is it just me, or does this thing seem to happen much more frequently to Google blogs than other corporate blogs?

16 years ago #

I think some Googlers read this blog per 5 minutes.

Vaggelis [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

I believe that the blog name (or subdomain more accurately) became available and someone else claimed it.

Rohit Srivastwa [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

I'm happy today :)

>> Whoops! We accidentally classified ourselves as spam, and our ever-perceptive Blogger settings caught us

My revenge is taken ;)

SirNuke [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

An article appear on Yahoo (but appears to be written originally by PC World) about this, including a mention and link to Blogoscoped.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/pcworld/20070808/tc_pcworld/135686

Veky [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

> Is it just me, or does this thing seem to happen much more frequently to Google blogs than other corporate blogs?

Probably not. It is just that we follow Google more, and much more people are doing it than for almost all other corporate blogs.

16 years ago #

Google's Sean Carlson from above link: "Blogger's spam classifier misidentified the Custom Search Blog as spam"

Maybe too much product advertising on Google's blogs lately? ;)

Google: "It was a case of "URL squatting" and not a security issue or any kind of hack"

Depends on the definition. What if the email notification you're supposed to act on lands in your spam folder and you never see it? Sounds like a risk to me for any big blog, whatever you want to call that risk.

laptop [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

<< Maybe too much product advertising on Google's blogs lately? ;) >>

I guess this makes sense

[Signature URL removed and quote reformatted – Tony]

Frank Russell [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

Google hacks itself
When splogging becomes a crime
Blogorrhea shines

Jonathan Deber [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

There is a little more to this situation than Google's official statement would indicate. I believe that the fault lies with Google's anti-spam software, rather than with the Custom Search Blog team.

I'm guessing that there was an errant run of the anti-spam software on Tuesday, since my blog was also incorrectly marked as spam and disabled on the same day. However, I didn't receive any notification by email (or by any other means), and I did (after the fact) check my spam folders to be sure. I would hazard a guess that the same thing happened to Google Custom Search team, and their blog was disabled without notice (rather than being disabled after they missed the email about it).

I've got a bit more detail about what happened up at my blog (which is now back up), if anyone cares. http://jdeber.blogspot.com/2007/08/cheep-v1agra-4-sale1.html

Oh, it took them just under 23 hours to restore it after I filed an appeal.

Cheers,
Jonathan

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!