Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Blogoscoped forum code

pooin [PersonRank 8]

Tuesday, August 7, 2007
16 years ago11,579 views

Simple but powerfull forum. I love it

Philipp, why not make it open source project?

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

I've been asked about this a couple of times. The thing is that this blog + forum code (which are semi-merged) have historically grown, from the days where the blog was on Blogger.com but the forum not, to now where it both merged. There is a certain amount of historical artifacts in the code, which will make it hard to extract into a meaningful shareable module; for instance, there's support for 3 different permalink schemes, 1 from the Blogger time, 1 from where I had a bug in the permalink creation for a time, and 1 from today. There's also quite a bit of caching which I added as afterthought when the blog was crashing from traffic due to heavy MySQL/ PHP usage. In short, there's so many areas which I'd need to refactor now that for such a project, I'd rather rewrite it from scratch (which wouldn't be impossible, but just take a bit more time...). Maybe at one time I will prepare it for a release, I will see!

Hong Xiaowan [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Yes, Philipp's System is good. I love it and want it too.

pooin [PersonRank 8]

16 years ago #

If you release it under a free license, we will contribute to it and fix the bugs

But I understand you, lot of work for release a generic version

16 years ago #

It's not so much bugs, but lack of good structure because the design of the blog + forum changed so dramatically over time, and as you say, what's missing is also a modularized version that allows for easy "data independent" inclusion (e.g. a forum member icon manager and so on, all stuff I'm just hopping into the source code for right now, which is fine by me but bad usability for a release...).

pooin [PersonRank 8]

16 years ago #

Thanks philipp. I'll try to clone it :P

/pd [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

no no..this is a unique forum.don't make an open release.. we dont want another clone elsewhere!! :)-

Zim [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

It's a nice and unique piece :)
It doesn't makes me feel secure with that everyone-has-your-name-available thing, but it's a detail and we don't need (at least now) more than this :)

Hong Xiaowan [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Blogoscoped, next wordpress. I really tired of Wordpress. Update and Update. Complex and Complex. I want easy and easy system that can be easy maintained.

Rohit Srivastwa [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

:)

pokemo [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Philipp,

I like your forum script very very much...please release it....:p

16 years ago #

Pokemo pls see http://blogoscoped.com/forum/104717.html#id104719

Suresh S [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Ha Ha Ha!!!! .Final try by pokemo.
The one thing i like about this blog is simple and easy to post. when you have something to share , your heart pounds(that i found something useful), this blog comes to my mind for posting.

No Login.No Chinki and No Washing.Only Blogging....

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!