Google Blogoscoped

Forum

The Great Happiness Space (Video)  (View post)

MJ Rich [PersonRank 6]

Wednesday, August 8, 2007
16 years ago3,843 views

I stayed up later than I should have watching this. It was really well done, I enjoyed it thoroughly. I think it is interesting that this circle of prostitution is essentially serving a higher circle of prostitution. So it breaks down:

Creepy old dudes pay younger women for company, and then the younger women pay older dudes for company. And sometimes sex happens.

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

MJ, the missing piece to me, which I was a bit disappointed the documentary didn't get into as well: where or on what do the Hosts spend their money?

MJ Rich [PersonRank 6]

16 years ago #

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. I mean, I imagine a good deal of it goes to paying for being cool (the girl mentioned taking Issei's jacket and he said whatever), but another thing to consider is that the man interviewing for the job said he was just looking for a way to finance his goals, and we also found out that not many people stay with the job for long, and you can't do it your whole life anyway. Based on all of this, I'm under the impression that they are only Hosts for a limited time, during which they save the bulk of their money, either to live a dream of their own or something else. What do you think?

16 years ago #

You might be right. I wonder if some of the Hosts' dream is to settle down with a woman in the end. One of them indicated this...

MJ Rich [PersonRank 6]

16 years ago #

Yeah, but they are pretty emotionally dead after some time. Good movie, still. I can't wait for an excuse to reference it someplace not on the Internet.

Trtl [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

The ones who are good at it will stay at it for quite some time. Once they start getting old they wont be able to keep going. In the end most of them will probably end up getting married to someone out of convenience and paying a younger generation of fuzuko. Issei will probably retire but own the Host Club...

Also keep in mind the figures are about 1/10th or so of american $ due to inflation.

16 years ago #

(Update: Link removed upon a friendly request from the copyright holder, who says the full movie wasn't intended to be uploaded and who is also working with Google Video to get the movie removed at its source.)

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!