Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Ad Serving Tests

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

Friday, August 10, 2007
16 years ago2,907 views

I don't really understand Google's latest announcement, but it looks pretty fishy:
http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2007/08/online-ad-serving-tests.html

<< Google is testing a new system to help advertisers serve and manage ads across the web. In order to provide this service, we set a cookie on your computer browser when you view one of these ads. >>

or [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

They are being very transparent with it and even providing a way for users to opt out, among other things. What's fishy? A guess placing the cookie is fishy, but for ad serving tests for advertisers and agencies it would be necessary, unless they just choose not to have the product.

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

<< They are being very transparent >>

I don't think so. For example, what kind of ads participate in this test? "This policy applies to all ads served through the Google test ad server. Ads served through the Google test ad server may include ads displayed on the AdSense ('Ads by Google') network. However, most ads displayed on the AdSense network will not be served through the Google test ad server, and this policy does not apply to those ads."

<< What's fishy? >>

"You'll still see ads if you've opted out of the Google test ad-serving cookies. However, our ad-serving technology will no longer associate data with your unique browser. (...) After you opt out, ads delivered through the test ad server will be targeted based on limited information--such as your browser type, IP address (for location-specific targeting), and website content--that is automatically transmitted to the Google ad serving system. Other customization options will no longer be available; for example, we may no longer be able to prevent your browser from being served with the same ad over and over."

So that means Google delivers personalized ads in this test. I thought they didn't intend to do that and they decided to only show ads targeted to the content of a page.

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

When I read that post I sent feedback to them as they requested:

--------------------------------
Hi Google,

You say, "Some of the ideas we're exploring include: ... providing better forms of notice within ads, to help users understand who is serving the ads they see, and what data is being collected"

Actually, unfortunately, I'm seeing less and less disclosure in ads among the ads Google serves... a step in the opposite direction than the one your blog post describes:
http://blogoscoped.com/archive/2007-07-19-n37.html
--------------------------------

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!