Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Google Allowing to Remove Results  (View post)

Kathleen Anderson [PersonRank 0]

Monday, September 26, 2005
18 years ago

I think this would be a good thing – some sites require you to create an account on their site to see answers to questions, e.g. experts-exchange.com. I'd rather not see results from those sites when I do a search.

Bryce Benton [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

I was going to say the exact same thing as the commenter above. I've been wanting to remove "experts-exchange" results from my queries for ages.

Incidentally, I read recently that the domain for "experts-exchange" originally did not include the hypen, and was often mistaken for something else... expert ___ change. :)

--bryce

dalton rooney [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

I have a sneaking suspicion that if a link gets "removed" enough times, it will eventually start to sink to the bottom of the search results for everyone else, too. Think of it as a social search engine – this would do a good job of filtering spam or irrelevent content for the greater whole, and increasing Google's accuracy yet again!

Hopefully they'll come up with a way to prevent abuse, so companies don't begin removing one another from results lists as a way of sabotage!

Tony Ruscoe [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

(Slightly off the original topic but still on topic regarding "experts-exchange"...)

For a while, I also thought you had to sign up to see answers to their queries since they have a huge "Sign Up to See This Solution" link. However, if you scroll down to the bottom of the page, you can see all the comments and the "Accepted Answer" to the original question...

Caleb E [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

This post was mentioned at the bottom of this article in pcmag.com:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,,1863573,00.asp:

Caleb E [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

sorry, a colin snuck in there somehow:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,,1863573,00.asp

Gianluca Brugnoli [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

I dont’t know if it’s a coincidence, but in January 10/2005 I sent this email to suggestion[put at-character here]google.com:

“Hello everybody,
My name is Gianluca Brugnoli, and I’m a senior Information Architet and Researcher Professor at the Politecnico di Milano, in Milano, Italy. I have a little suggestion to improve your service.

When I do my web searches sometimes I need to exclude some sites / domains (the whole URL) from my results. There’s a lot of garbage and fake pages around the web that makes some searches really boring and difficult.
This function/option will be really useful the refine the search, in order to cut-off some garbage, fake pages, or useless domains.

On the user side, this function should be used in the same way I can see more results from a specific domain. For example, with a message like: “[Exclude all results from: www.thisdomain.com]” under the single result line.

An improved way to access this function is to create / save a personal black-list of domains I don’t want really to search at all.

I wish you will find this useful.
Best regards”

Ok, I agree that this not the invention of the wheel, and that many people made the same request. But finally, they did it! Almost in the same way I’ve described it in my email. It’s a nice surprise for me.
Thanks everybody.

Tom [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

I have the exact same problem then you guys... experts-exchange sucks... a solution for any problem always exist somewhere else then on this F[put at-character here]#*$$$$ paying site, so why to pay for it?
I definitly want to ban this iste of my google results...

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!