Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Riddle  (View post)

Christian BS [PersonRank 1]

Tuesday, August 14, 2007
16 years ago12,665 views

It's a smiley face with no mouth, just eyes.

Eytan Buchman [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

A game of pong that someone just lost?

James Xuan [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

A riddle?

John Hart [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

It's Actually just the Google logo.

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

John is correct. :)

Who knows why?

Danny Maddox [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

Because that is what it is titled.

Evan [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

You and probably John.

Yu [PersonRank 4]

16 years ago #

Gosh I'm stumped.

Max [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

Is it written in Semacode? I remembered this story: http://digg.com/programming/Programmer_Writes_the_World_s_Biggest_Hello_World_Program

Yu [PersonRank 4]

16 years ago #

hehe i thought it was one of those you stare at for a while and then either a 3d image shows up or you close your eyes and you see an imprint thats left over from the contrast.

16 years ago #

> Is it written in Semacode?

Nope :)

Jack Hynes [PersonRank 6]

16 years ago #

Something to do with those darned black/white corner removals on the boxes?

Dake [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

When you write Google in uppercase and then use the paint tool two dots are all that is left?

Sohil [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

G!!!!!

John Hart [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

Try changing the indexed colors to something other then their defaults... (only two matter)

Sei [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

I don't get it ;___;

Ricardo Sanchez [PersonRank 2]

16 years ago #

Here:
http://img256.imageshack.us/img256/908/riddleer9.png

Gene [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

Oh , Yeah , I got it too.
Download this file (http://blogoscoped.com/files/riddle.gif) and open it in Photoshop, select "Image" menu – "Mode" -"color table", and change the color like Rocardo did.

Hoho.

[Image URL fixed – Tony]

Zim [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Nice one!

Rohit Srivastwa [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Good one philipp

Swadhin [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

It's the word 'hi'

Dave Goodman [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

I see that the question's been answered. It looks like blunted fangs to me. I've been reading too many vampire novels. :)

Raul [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

It looks like cat in a dark light :)

Stephen [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

Looks like pixel group (http://blogoscoped.com/pixel)

Freiddie [PersonRank 7]

16 years ago #

What a crafty riddle (you have to use graphics editing programs!). (I agree with the "Google logo" one.) How did you come up with that?

Travis Harris [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Philipp is just trying to find the best hackers out there :)

Let's just hope he is not working for the Gov't

;)

16 years ago #

I didn't invent this trick, I believe I saw it years ago used for some computer game start-up screen. There was a secret message easter egg when you adjusted the color palette :)

Todd McGee [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

Oh, I thought you were going to say that it was the alt text on the Google logo.

jon [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

so how is it made?

16 years ago #

Jon, you can use any graphic program that allows you to alter the index of a palette image. In PaintShop Pro 4, create a normal image, with something black on a white background. Now reduce to black-and-white (2 colors). Now increase to 16 colors, and using a 3rd color, draw something in areas which don't contain your previous black drawing. Then open the palette and change the white color to black. You ended up with an all-black image except for your 3rd color, which you can now change to white. I added a twist by then moving the 2nd (original black) index to a position further behind and moving the new white onto the 2nd position, just to make it not so easy to spot when you open the palette.

I still remember how it was possible to create palette rotation animations on Amiga 500 using Deluxe Paint :) Basically, each palette index was one animation frame. Your only constraint now was to draw something using different indexes that wouldn't overlap, because you were still restricted to one image. Then you hit some shortcut, and your palette would scroll. You could create movement, or stuff like fire or waterfalls.
Oh, and that reminds me of how you could use the Deluxe Paint animation cell feature to create multiple choice adventures :)

jon [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

thanks alot Philipp

paxik video blog [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

Wow, I guessed it would be Google logo, way before I found out why it is. I tried to change contrast and such, but changing the palette didn't cross my mind. Well, I learned new thing, thanks to you!

Stephan Locher [PersonRank 9]

16 years ago #

Hm, nice one Philipp!

Would be great to have a firefox script or something similar which detects if an image has something hidden->same color with different IDs or so.

Quazie [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

There is another version of this type of riddle where there are two different color blacks (FFFFFF and FFFFEE for example) Then in something like paint you can reveal the hidden text but to the eye its very hard if not impossible to see the difference.

Quazie [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

I of course ment 000000 and 000011

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!