Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Rumor: Was the Gdrive Release Canceled?  (View post)

MEoip [PersonRank 1]

Sunday, August 19, 2007
16 years ago6,845 views

I think Google would be smart enough to hold onto this product. Knowing full well it will start a battle between them and Microsoft. I would expect this to follow an integration of docs (including the presentation ap), pages, gmail and others. When Google can benefit from storage they will store. They don't want to release this unprepared and have MSFT launch an addon to Office that quickly and easily saves docs online.

PierreS [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

The longer they hold it on and add new features, the better.
It's been long since I last saw a truly revoutionnary product like Gmail.

Bob [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

Perhaps also some copyright-issues ? I think Google has better stuff to do than to monitor each GDrive about "The Simpons", "Siiimpons", "Da Sompsins",....

SQ89 [PersonRank 3]

16 years ago #

http://blogoscoped.com/forum/104160.html
It looks like Gdrive will be released in the near future, but (only?) for the OLPC project.

T-Man [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

I often thought about the hole GDrive-thing and came to the conclusion, that the release depends on DRM-problems. Google surely will start a service that is revolutionary as GMail, but if everybody starts sharing his GDrive-files with each other without any control it could very fast replace the unnecessary of "traditional" file-sharing (like Bittorrent/eMule/etc.). And also because of this I wonder, that Microsoft started its Windows Live SkyDrive without any (obvious) control-mechanisms. By now the only things that will people stop from using this service for "bad" tasks are the necessary Windows Live ID-subscription and the maximum file size of 500 MB. But with the starting engagement of "the big ones" in this field the limit will soon raise. I Think Google will start GDrive as soon as they started their Youtube-filter system (announced for this fall). Such a great tool/product will surely not be killed by a 20%-rule.

Hashim [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

I have a feeling Gdrive will be released on the same day as Dr. Dre's Detox album.

Rudi [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

I don't know if GDrive will be a Killer-Product like Gmail. There are a lot of Services on the Web (Microsoft isn't the first player) that offer free storage space for everybody. So there has to be more to GDrive than just offering/sharing space for you...

Sohil [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Has anyone that maybe metaphorically Google meant store all the data or maybe a fake one was released to make sure we talk about it for years to come?

Just a thought.

For people complaining about Piracy, Microsoft isn't the only one – AOL offers it too (XDrive). My favourite it Box.net though! :)

Microsoft should give up and just acquire them, Google might be a different story altogether.

Niraj Sanghvi [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Looks like this story has made its way to TechCrunch:
http://www.techcrunch.com/2007/08/19/what-ever-happened-to-gdrive/

Haochi [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Didn't the guy in the video said that it failed MM's UI test! (in a rather kidding tone)

Jeff [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

Eric Schmidt has been quite clear on this at the latest Google Press Day. He said that Google will offer a tool enabling access to your files and apps just by clicking a "Make this my PC" button on any PC connected o the Internet.

Peter [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

Re your post about Platypus and the definition you quoted, I point out that Tasmania is a state of Australia, therefore it's inaccurate to say Australia AND Tasmania. Just thought you'd be interested, and yes, I am being picky :-)

Peter
Proud Aussie

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

> Didn't the guy in the video said that it failed MM's
> UI test! (in a rather kidding tone)

But he was referring to his own product when he said that...

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!