Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Weird Google Analytics Bug  (View post)

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

Tuesday, August 21, 2007
16 years ago10,119 views

Currently when I click on a URL of the "referring sites" module of the Google Analytics dashboard, it returns a buggy page. For instance if the source is "digg.com" and I click on digg.com, instead of showing me the individual URLs referred from digg.com the headline now reads "/ igg.co". And instead of "images.google.com", it will show "mages.google.co", always the first and last letter missing. And that results in "0 visits" shown for those referrers...

Anyone else who gets this bug?

Tony Ruscoe [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

I don't get this bug on any of my profiles.

Reto Meier [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

I've been getting this intermittently.

Everything works fine, then every once in a while it drops the first and last character. Weird.

Above 3 comments were made in the forum before this was blogged,

Martin Porcheron [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Works correctly for me.

video.bloguje.cz [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

I bet they tried to get rid of the quotation marks which weren't there, thus ending up with trimmed name... Strange bug, but understandable.

hebbet [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

my analytics is working correct, too.

Freiddie [PersonRank 7]

16 years ago #

What if you add two extra characters to the end, like wwww.example.comm, so that the two extra characters are removed by the bug, leaving the correct address? (I'm just guessing)

Luka [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

I used to have bug with the french version : Google analytics didn't show the referal site details and it wasn't possible to show more than 10 referal site / Keywords or others informations.

With english US translation, no more bugs.

Melanie Phung [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

Yup, I've been seeing this too, depending on which path I use to drill down.

MAcsSNAcs [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

I'm getting that bug too. Very annoying.

MAcsSNAcs [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

... but only when accessing that data from the Dashboard. If I go to "view report" and look at them from there, it's fine.

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Yep, same here Macs...

MAcsSNAcs [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

I've come across another bug. When looking at the Landing Page Optimization feature, the data suddenly drops away completely on exactly April the 1st and reappears just as suddenly on July 1. I can see this on either Entrance Sources or Entrance Keywords, and for any page, and on several sites now.

We're not talking about loss of traffic, because there's fine consistent data during this time period for all other reports I've looked at, and it's also not a gradual decline over a few days or weeks leading up to April 1 or from July 1. It's a sudden drop off to absolutely 0 data for exactly 3 months.

I've contacted the Google Analytics support, and all they've said so far is that perhaps visitors couldn't reach the pages in question (but it's not a traffic issue) or that the tracking code might have been removed due to maintenance on those pages (but it's all pages, and the tracking code is in an include header, not on the particular pages).

Does anyone else see this same pattern?

James Xuan [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Nope :)

MAcsSNAcs [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

I don't see how it could be me... I've got Analytics on 3 separate sites, on 3 separate servers, in 3 separate parts of the country. They all have the same glitch. One of them, I haven't touched since last fall, probably. The reacking code's never been removed, there's never been any big maintenance that could have caused this...

I'm stumped.

MAcsSNAcs [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

...that should be "tracking code" not "reacking code" ... ;)

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!