Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Google.com Back in Old Design?  (View post)

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

Wednesday, August 22, 2007
16 years ago9,110 views

Did Google.com switch back to the old navigation style? Who else is seeing the top navigation above the search box again (screenshot from just now below, appears even when cookies are cleared...)?

http://blogoscoped.com/files/google-old-new-design-2007.png

Tony Ruscoe [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Weird. Not me.

stefan2904 [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Not me. Google.at -> Google.com in English

Martin Porcheron [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

I'm seeing the top navigation bar, although the Google logo is now an img tag (it was a div with a background image previously for me).

Danny [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

For me i'm having the old design also..

mukthar [PersonRank 7]

16 years ago #

Me also getting the old design

David Hetfield [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

I'm having no problems with Google's homepage.

Above 7 comments were made in the forum before this was blogged,

Marco [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

Well, first of all on Google.it (italian domain) the horizontal top-toolbar was never rolled out.
Then I must confess that despite I like the concept, I don't like how it is implemented:
1) it lacks keyboard support to scroll into the "more tab"
2) it behaves strangely: some links, on some application, open in _blank windows, others do not (inconsistent behaviour across Google properties)
3) Google.com has the toolbar, Gmail.com has the toolbar, but almost all the other apps do not, or – even worse – they have the old toolbar (such as product search, for instance) – that sucks at the ^n power

Definitely: nice idea, horrible implementation. I think that they are rolling it back, and sincerely hope it: it sucks too much to be on such a precious domain.
Who did this shame??? And they didn't hire me... shame on them.
Marco

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

They already did an undo for the bar that shows the number of results: I only see the old blue bar.

The only properties that show the old navigation are: Blog Search, Scholar and Froogle. Others (Blogger, orkut) don't show any Google navigation links.

Teodor Filimon [PersonRank 3]

16 years ago #

I think that we should get to choose what design we want. I prefer the old one :)

pooin [PersonRank 8]

16 years ago #

I see old design in www.google.es or www.google.com with default spanish language

Andy [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

see old design – germany

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Forgot to mention: the new design wasn't available in local Googles, as far as I know (it was never on Google.de)...

Chris [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

see new design on .com.
   This search http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=%22san+diego%22+hotel gives me a direct link from the search list to a map (with the +-sign, see result 10). I've seen that recently on some result pages. Is it new?

Matt [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

i noticed this about a month ago and send Google a message asking them what was up. i got this reply in an email, "Thank you for your note. Clearing your browser's cache can resolve a number of problems you may be experiencing while using Google or other sites on the web. Below you'll find instructions for clearing your cache in Internet Explorer (IE) 6, IE7, Mozilla Firefox 1.5 and earlier, and Mozilla Firefox 2.0:" This was followed by instructions on how to clear the browser cache. Since then, i have not had Google.com appear with the old style.

Sasch [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

At www.google.de there is no such tool bar ... still the old design! :(

Juan [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

In www.google.com.ar (Argentina) never he was available

Mocas [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

With Internet Explorer I see the newest design.
With Firefox I see the old.

Tim Broder [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

I tried IE6 and Firefox at work, saw the new one both times logged in and logged out, I'll give it a try on Gutsy and IE7 when I get home

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!