Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Users Mostly Click Top Result, Trusting Search Engines  (View post)

Michael Peter Zarb [PersonRank 0]

Tuesday, September 27, 2005
18 years ago

I disagree with your opinion that the search results on the first SERP are the most relevant. Although search engines have made extreme progress in recent years in terms of relevance, the primary reason for this is the faluire of web masters to invest properly in web promotion and SEO – Many companies, esspecially smaller organisations, do not properly understand the reality about website promotion and SEO tecniques. The result is that many quality organisations are subersided in search results by lesser but more promotional firms. This also has the tremor effect of search engine results being littered with comercial websites even when the user searches for "information on xyz" obvuisely because the more commercial firms have properly optimised their site for the subject "xyz" and all its alternative keyphases!

The reality is that the first page of search engine results do not provide the user with the most relevant or the best quality site but rather the most well optimised site, the site or firm which may afford better web promotion meaning smaller, cheaper, more exclusive products and services are not in a position to capitalise on their website investmnets.

I disagree with your opinion that the search results on the first SERP are the most relevant. Although search engines have made extreme progress in recent years in terms of relevance, the primary reason for this is the failure of web masters to invest properly in web promotion and SEO – Many companies, especially smaller organisations, do not properly understand the reality about website promotion and SEO techniques. The result is that many quality organisations are superseded in search results by lesser but more promotional firms. This also has the tremor effect of search engine results being littered with commercial websites even when the user searches for "information on xyz" obviously because the more commercial firms have properly optimised their site for the subject "xyz" and all its alternative key phases!

The reality is that the first page of search engine results do not provide the user with the most relevant or the best quality site but rather the most well optimised site, the site or firm which may afford better web promotion meaning smaller, cheaper, more exclusive products and services are not in a position to capitalise on their website investment.

Apart from the internet ignorance that some smaller firms may have, another reason for their inability to fully capitalise on the scope of the internet is the high prices of professional SEO, especially in the more lucrative and competitive markets. The internet is rapidly becoming a pond (or sea) where only big fish may swim.

Google has already provide vehicles to solve this issue with Google Local Search and Google Blog search however smaller firms who are in the best position to benefit from such technological advancements have not yet awoken to its possibilities as they have not optimised their sites!

Ps : if you feel like a laugh check out my embarrassing stories site, they are not necessary my stories some have been given to me by close friends! – www.embarrassingstories.mzarb.com

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!