Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Cuill: New search founded by Ex-Googlers

Tony Ruscoe [PersonRank 10]

Wednesday, August 29, 2007
16 years ago3,911 views

Anyone heard of Cuill? It's supposedly pronounced [kool] – although I'm not sure what the difference is between [kool] and [cool]. Presumably [kool] is much cuiller than [cool]...? ;-)

Anyway, there are two ex-Googlers amongst the three founders:

<< Anna Patterson is the Vice President of Engineering of Cuill. She was the architect of Google's large search index, TeraGoogle, that launched in early 2006. While at Google, Anna was the technical lead of one of the two Web ranking groups at Google, in charge of GoogleBase, and the manager for the core piece of Google's ads-matching technology. She joined Google in 2004 after designing, writing and selling Recall – the largest search engine in existence at the time at 11.8B pages. Anna has a PhD in Computer Science from the University of Illinois at Champaign-Urbana.

Russell Power was technical lead for the serving part of TeraGoogle. While at Google, he spent two years working on Web ranking and on the automatic Spam detection project. Russell has a Masters of Computer Science from the University of Washington and is on leave there as a PhD candidate. >>

They're apparently "pioneering a new approach to Search" but something tells me that their "experimental robot" needs a bit of work; the only reason I've heard about them is because my home page was hit around 25,000 times in 20 minutes on Monday and again around 8,000 times today!

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Interesting. I dropped them an email, let's see if they reply...

James Xuan [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

It has the typical web 2.0 lime green so it must be good ;-)

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!