Google Blogoscoped

Forum

[META] Blogoscoped Dance !

Luka [PersonRank 10]

Thursday, September 6, 2007
16 years ago8,291 views

I think Philipp is updating Personnal Rank on Blogoscoped Forum! Or it is a bug... But everybody have now (6:23 AM hour of Paris) a 0 PR on this forum...

http://www.jeremilhau.fr/google/blogoscoped.png

DPic [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Hey yeah you're right. Mine should be full

Zim [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Oh my gosh!
I'm tired of telling you it _is_ the end of the world.
I was thinking about blogoscoped PR
Maybe it's time to make it more accurate (instead of taking the total number of posts and use them as reference, use a dynamic number). Maybe Philipp is working arround this.

George R [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

/pd is still 10.
Philipp is down to 0.

The values on the top member and full member pages seem to be listed normally. Maybe they are just stale values and will change later.

http://blogoscoped.com/forum/personrank.html

David Hetfield [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

I'm sure it's just temporary..

(Right Philipp? :/)

TOMHTML [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

A Blogoscoped Dance!!!

pooin [PersonRank 8]

16 years ago #

I think lot of people has too much PR
I has 5 or 6 and was in forum for only two months

Mrrix32 [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

It's all still there on the "Top Members" list, Just on posts it's dissapeared :-/
http://blogoscoped.com/forum/personrank.html

TOMHTML [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Ah ah, James has passed Haochi and now he ranks 6th ^^

Tony Ruscoe [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Don't forget folks... it's all about quality and not quantity!

(It's a shame the Google Blogoscoped PersonRank can't reflect that...)

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Whoops. The PersonRank index was corrupted. Actually, the dance happens twice a week at the moment. The fix is being "rolled out" right now :)

As Tony says, PersonRank only reflects quantity, not quality! It doesn't just count the posts, but it also doesn't do a lot of other refined stuff. Even if I would have some ideas that might reflect quantity, that's beyond the scope of the value and I don't want to go there... quality is so subjective anyway! The algo could count the number of words... but what if someone turns around a thread discussion by posting a single link that's so incredibly relevant everybody else is baffled & delighted? The algo could count the number of threads started as opposed to those commented on, but what if a person is helping others a lot by answering questions? The algo could count the time spent between entering different comments, but what if the person isn't in a hurry but just a quick thinker? The algo could even count the number of times a forum name is used in conjunction with words like "agreed" or "superb" or "great find" or "cool"... and so on. But that's beyond the scope and all of it might not really reflect quality anyway because we're all very different and have different styles, which are often completely equally valid!

So in a nutshell, PersonRank is supposed to mean "How regular is a person around here? How much did the person get involved in the forum in the past?"

16 years ago #

You're absolutely right Philipp..

Besides, people already know each other here, and i think they can make the right call, whether trusting them, or not.

Am i right here guys?

stefan2904 [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

yes, you are david! (-;
[but we are not able to speak-out others names :p]

James Xuan [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

<<Ah ah, James has passed Haochi and now he ranks 6th >> And only here 4 months! I must talk a lot of sh*t!

TOMHTML [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Maybe you have nothing other to do, James :-P

16 years ago #

Actually that is it. I'm on from 9:00 AM sometimes until 3:00AM

16 years ago #

<< [but we are not able to speak-out others names :p] >>

lolll... :)

Martin Porcheron [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

You could add some of the factors you mentioned Philip to PersonRank but give them a low weighting, thus making PersonRank more clever but reducing its inaccuracy.

Although, this would take quite a bit more computing power and possibly (well, probably) yield the same PR for nearly everyone.

Luka [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Is the Blogoscoped dance every night ? Because PR 0 for everybody again...

TOMHTML [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Luka is right, shake your body, it's the Google Blogoscoped Dance! Feat DJ Philipp yeah!

16 years ago #

Everyones back except Tom. Tom your a looser now :P

16 years ago #

> Is the Blogoscoped dance every night ? Because
> PR 0 for everybody again...

No, that must have been my server administrators playing with the script figuring out why it was stuck.

It turns out not only the PersonRank calculator script, but also all other scripts running on a timed basis (via cronjob) are not being fully executed anymore... including Google's Blogs n More :/

They want to get back to me on that within 2 days, hopefully tomorrow morning already. Right now, Google's Blogs n More will be flaky unfortunately...

16 years ago #

About Google's blogs philipp, how come the Yahoo ones are posted double all the time, with one strike-throughed

16 years ago #

Yeah, I should get that fixed too. It's because they are releasing two permalinks for each post, weirdly enough, so the RSS reader treats it as two posts. I could kick out posts with the same title but sometimes it's interesting to see when a post was changed (not in this case though, so I need to tweak this...).

Colin Colehour [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Hope the server issues are easy fixes. Sometimes those can take awhile to get the kinks out.

16 years ago #

It's back again

16 years ago #

Yeah, my server support is still ignoring my request :)
Hope it's fixed soon, until then, the PR will be emptied twice a week, and I will have to trigger the update manually :)

16 years ago #

<< until then, the PR will be emptied twice a week >>

Bummer :(

16 years ago #

>> Yeah, my server support is still ignoring my request :)

Are you with 1and1 (de|uk|us)?

16 years ago #

Yes, 1and1 / Germany, formerly Schlund, as they got integrated. The problem since some days is that Cronjobs start but the PHPs triggered by it don't get the full time to finish. Triggering the same PHP manually will make it finish normally. Thursday I got someone who told me she was at the end of her wits and that I should call next day. Friday I got someone who asked me to state everything over in my words, and then he gave up too and asked me to put it all in an email again. I did, and the email support got back to me with a non-reply mentioning some PHP error (in a script which not only worked, so I wasn't able to reproduce that error, but which was one of the few cronjob-triggered PHP scripts that actually runs perfectly fine, every 5 minute, as I can see by the emails it sends me!), and then telling me he "didn't see any reason why this wouldn't work". Yeah, thanks. Still waiting for my reply to my reply to that one now!

Colin Colehour [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Sorry to hear that. Dealing with hosting companies can sometimes be a nightmare.

16 years ago #

They now finally "accepted" my error description and said they will put a sysop behind this to figure it out... after I wrote a dedicated database + PHP test-case show-casing just the bug and nothing more (including an error reporting system that writes to the disk even the most unimportant notice...)! Turns out all cronjob-triggered PHPs stop at around (almost precisely) 74 seconds, even when they run normally when started manually (and they have a much higher set_time_limit themselves...).

16 years ago #

Sounds an odd amount of time. What's your max_execution_time in php.ini?

Also, are the cron jobs called to php (ie. not Apache or using a GET request)?

16 years ago #

Martin, the thing is the PHP script runs fine when executed directly, e.g. when tested with 180 seconds. However, the same PHP when triggered from the cronjob only lasts 74 seconds. I can't access the PHP.ini itself (I think?) but I can override it using set_time_limit.

The cron jobs are called directly to PHP5, like this, sort of:
0,10,20 * * * * /usr/local/bin/php5
/somepath/....somefolder/private/index.php5

The folder itself if accessed via HTTP is password-protected, at least usually.

16 years ago #

Ah, I was asking as I use to use GET http://.... on one of my cron jobs and it was being timed out, I believe it was caused by Apache in the end.

Sounds like a really odd error.

*ponders*

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!