Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Gmail Beta?

Damian [PersonRank 0]

Friday, September 7, 2007
16 years ago8,333 views

Can anyone explain me why Gmail still in Beta???

It's a worlwide used program. It's been around for more than 2 years.

I can't find other explanation besides those guys forgot about taking it out of Beta.

Thanks

Damian

Mrrix32 [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Google Sets has been in labs for the past 5 years :D

Gmail is probably still Beta because they feel that more should be done before it is released to the public even though they have the best spam filter out there and they (i think, correct me if I'm wrong) created the labeling and archive system rather than the traditional folders (which rules).

stefan2904 [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

stability.

George R [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

In some parts of the world an invitation may still be required.

Mrrix32 [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

I'm 99% sure that you don't need an invitation where ever you are. :-/

Martin Porcheron [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

"stability."

Perfect. It has to be said that Gmail is still not that reliable at times and Google can get away with it because the product is "Beta" – bugs are expected. As soon as it leaves Beta, Google has the blame for bugs in a stable product.

Mrrix32 [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

<<Google has the blame for bugs in a stable product>>

:D True

Luka [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

In my opinion, Gmail is still in beta because if they remove the beta, they should "freeze" the product for users. When you have a product in beta, you can change functionalities without warn, for testing purpose.

The day Gmail will quit beta, I hope they will allow user to choose to stay in beta mode to have innovations first.

TonyB [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

"The day Gmail will quit beta, I hope they will allow user to choose to stay in beta mode to have innovations first."

And when was the last time we saw any real innovation or change in Gmail?

TonyB

Martin Porcheron [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

"The day Gmail will quit beta, I hope they will allow user to choose to stay in beta mode to have innovations first."

I believe in Google-speak that's called "English (US)"

That is one thing I've never understood, why role out the newest beta features to your largest market. Role them out to the UK first where you can perfect them in a live environment :P

Mrrix32 [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

[put at-character here] Martin
It's like when it takes a translators 6 months to convert a game from American to British....but we started talking about the American Vs English thing earlier, better not start again :D

Does anyone actually use "English (UK)"?

[put at-character here]Tony B : according to the "What's New" page [ https://mail.google.com/mail/help/about_whatsnew.html] The latest updates are Slideshow previews and 20MB attachments.... not really innovative

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!