Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Archive vs Hide on Gmail and Google Docs

David Hetfield [PersonRank 10]

Sunday, September 9, 2007
16 years ago7,013 views

<< Using consistent naming conventions isn't always easy. Especially when you're creating functionality that's new in the marketplace.

One example of this comes from Google, who seems to be trying to figure out the best way to explain hiding files within their applications.

Within Gmail, they've used the term "Archive" for this functionality:

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1321/1321726772_9c6d47a930.jpg?v=0

For those of you not familiar with the archive feature, clicking to archive a message in your inbox moves it out of the inbox but doesn't delete it. It's still immediately retrievable through search. It's a great way to file away emails that you've processed after reading or responding. You'll stop wasting time scanning emails you've already dealt with.

Google Docs is another application using this functionality. I use Google Docs to draft a lot of the posts for Technology Evangelist. Once posted, I have little use for my draft, but don't necessarily want to throw it away. Yet I shouldn't have to clutter up my online folders with old drafts.

Archiving old documents solves this problem.

Strangely, Google has changed the term they use for this functionality within Google Docs from "Archive" to "Hide":

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1174/1320839303_c9d0b49675_o.png

Which term do you think best describes this functionality?

Will Google standardize on hide? >>

Taken from:
http://www.technologyevangelist.com/2007/09/archive_vs_hide_on_g.html

I think Google will stay with " Hide " . And you?

Mrrix32 [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Hide sounds childish while Archive sounds more Professional so I hope they stick with Archive.

Also Hide in Windows actually hides the file so this *could* cause confusion

Haochi [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

I think Google will keep using label/folder/tag until the end of humanity.

David Hetfield [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

It's Google. Don't ever count on former knowledge. :P

Mrrix32 [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

[put at-character here]Daivd
True, Google redefined "Beta" it now seems to mean we want you to "report" bugs rather than complain about them

Maybe I was going a bit far with the statement I made earlier but I prefer Archive and Labels (although that could just imply that I love Gmail :D)

Mambo [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

I think the term "Hide" is quite appropriate when working with documents.

E-mails are normally there to be read once or twice, then you archive them, ready to be searched in the future. On the other hand, with documents, they will most likely need to be accessed quite regularly (they're there to be edited, shared, etc.) – but the option to "chuck them out of the way" (hide them) is there.

I'm quite possibly wrong ;-)

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!