Google Blogoscoped

Forum

New version of Gmail coming...

Garett Rogers [PersonRank 10]

Sunday, September 23, 2007
16 years ago10,354 views

It looks like Google is getting ready to release a new version of Gmail – their "google in your language" service has some hints:

http://blogs.zdnet.com/Google/?p=744

Inferno [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

OMG!

Keith Chan [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

WoW! I am feeling excited already. I wonder how long it would take for it to get to normal Gmail users.

Let me guess what is in it:

* Full Integration with Google Calendar – sort of like Outlook
* Full Integration with Google Reader – so you could read your feeds in Gmail
* New color schemes
* Exporting emails to CDs :P

DPic [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

What about bringing email back for the new teen generation? All this talk about "email is dead" calls for more social features. And from what we've heard lately, that's exactly what google is diving into :)

16 years ago #

You mean Social-mail? :P

Hashim Warren [PersonRank 4]

16 years ago #

I wouldn't mind "tabs" like yahoo mail has.

Zim [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Well, since mails can't be edited, it must be something else to have a "newer version" posibility... An integration with google docs sounds clever, but I don't know. We must wait for some other keywords to know better what's about!

Martin Porcheron [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

I'm guessing Contact Management will be updated as well, seeing as Gmail's is useless.

Google could re-design the compose page aswell so that Google Talk is more prominent as apposed to sending mails.

Ben Allen [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

I'm hoping for a an improved contact manager.

Also, instead of Google Calendar + Reader integration, I was thinking a kind of Google Gadget compatible Gmail. This way, making Gmail more open. As this would happen, Gmail talk would become the Google Talk gadget inside Gmail.

But, that sounds tricky.. Maybe not?

dpneal [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

how long do you think it will be before it's released?

David Hetfield [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

I think 'till Gmail hits 3GB of storage.

16 years ago #

Maybe when Google celebrates its birthday this year :P

Luka [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

http://blogs.zdnet.com/Google/?p=750

Two new features : Gears integration and account activity

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

I don't think those two features are related to the new version. The account activity is in the translation console for a long time and it's more like a minor feature.

DPic [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

I'd like to see more storage and somehow making it load faster. It's pretty good for how much it has to load but i'd like gmail to load as fast as Google.com. Does anybody know how much longer it takes gmail to load than google.com ? That would be interesting to see.

Haochi [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Google's home page (not iGoogle) took ~500ms while Gmail* took ~15 seconds to be fully loaded for me. (with no cache)

*in standard with chat mode displaying 25 emails

DPic [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

So gmail loads 30 times longer than google.com for you. I think they should aim to bring it down to ten times longer

pooin [PersonRank 8]

16 years ago #

Maybe 5th of October ;)

dpneal [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

maybe 1st april. or they might bring it out very soon, in the hope of bringing it out of beta for 1st april

David Hetfield [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Yeah, something is got to happen on April 1st. :P

Ben Allen [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

That's a long time...

Jamie [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

I am really hoping for reader integration. I am currently using the awesome better gmail plugin for it and it does a very good job at integrating reader. Keeping reader in gmail has seriously saved me time in my day since I only have to keep the one page up, rather than having to remember to check the reader.

Jared Cherup [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

I know it's been mentioned before, but one can hope that an updated version of GMail would have a better contact management system. I do like the idea of the activity monitor.

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Google also mysteriously named "Gmail 2.0" as one of their internal company goals last year... about time to release something I guess! :)

Roger Browne [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Don't get too excited. As the first poster in the Slashdot discussion intimated, the biggest new feature might just be the addition of Flash ads. Having seen how unpleasant Google's Flash ads have become on the web (including here), I don't look forward to the possibility of Gmail being infested by them too.

http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/09/23/2049207

DaveB [PersonRank 3]

16 years ago #

Probably not going to happen this time around, but I think integrating Gmail and GrandCentral would be awesome

I am just starting to use GrandCentral, and having my voicemail inbox in Gmail seems like a perfect fit.

RobotJ [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

Don't know if it is new or has been around a while..but when i open some sort of mails I have on the right section "Add to calendar" and a "Map this" Link. The Sponsored Ads are below these links. If anyone wishes screenshots i can post them..

RobotJ [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

oh.this seems pretty old..but seems like it isn't available in other languages

James Xuan [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

I reallyt want to be able to create templates.

George R [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

DPic, be careful what you wish.

"So gmail loads 30 times longer than google.com for you. I think they should aim to bring it down to ten times longer"

They could make it ten times longer than the google.com home page by adding more bloat to the google.com home page and increasing its load time.

If you want a faster loading gmail try the light interface.
It is not as fast as I prefer, but it is much more tolerable than the default interface. I rarely intentionally use the default interface.

https://mail.google.com/mail/h/

It might be fairer to compare the load time of gmail to the load time of a google SERP than the home page.

DPic [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

[put at-character here]george

...well yeah but i obviously meant that they would do it by speeding up gmail
why in the world wold they want to do it by slowing down google?

I've tried the other interface when i'm using a super slow connection but i want the full interface-- just faster

Haochi [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Maybe I should use the lite version of Gmail – I receive ~3 emails on a good day. (~10 on a bad day, when Gmail's spam filter gave up)

By the way, have you guys noticed the screenshot says, "Pig Latin"? Is there a Pig Latin version of Gmail? (there's one for Google, I know)

dpneal [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

do you think the new mobile version is the one they were talking about? or do you think there will still be an upgrade to the main GMail UI?

DPic [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

[put at-character here]dpneal I sure hope not. That wouldn't be very exciting. Maybe the new gmail will come out with those special APIs that are rumored to be scheduled for release on November 5th.

It better add support for IMAP too. Even though i just read this article that says they have no money to be made by it http://www.tipotheday.com/2007/10/04/why-gmail-wont-do-imap/ maybe this new version of gmail will make that irrelavent

I have an Orkut group called "IMAP for GMail" and Jeff Huber joined like 5 minutes after i created it. :) So he's on board, why hasn't it happened yet? Well i hope it's because they're just already implemented it in the "new gmail" which is just yet to be release. Me and my wishful thinking...
http://www.orkut.com/Community.aspx?cmm=33621478

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!