Google Blogoscoped

Forum

gPhone: The Final Countdown

jon bradford [PersonRank 2]

Wednesday, October 3, 2007
16 years ago4,210 views

Am sure you've heard it all before (and its not the swedish rock band) ...

http://www.rizzn.com/2007/10/gphone-final-countdown-starts-here.asp

its coming, its open, its on tmobile and its going to cost $400 ... discuss!!

James Xuan [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

I hate the way the site starts talking

RobotJ [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

Why for gods sake should Google make their own phone ? This is just a *stupid* rumour like the Google OS some years ago.

Some Facts:
- they said a while ago they will work stronger with apple to enhance the iphone features (why would they make a cooperation if they got better stuff ? no company wants to give their customers away to another company)

- The actual number of people buying a gphone would be pretty small..Apple once said that they are planning 1 or 2% of the world market share..in 3rd world countrys (and that's where a lot of people are) the usual mobile phone costs <100$. Many big companies like Nokia, Samsung have special cheap phones for this market

-if this rumour is true...how is it possible that no pics/further *confirmed* infos have been stated so far ... they want to publish it world wide and have made cooperations where more than person is involved..so some rumours must have leaked...even the new ipods have been leaked before the press conference

- what customers would google really have for a gphone ? apple released the ipod..and they got millions of other customers before so that had a good starting point...and nowadays a big marketshare of persons who would buy a phone (the geeks) already have an iphone..so they are not really willing to change i think

of course i could be wrong..i would love to have an iphone-like mobile without that stupid log..but be serious..there are many thinks that make the rumour unbelievable..

Martin Porcheron [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

>> rumour like the Google OS some years ago.

They did make Goobuntu, they admit it, and they say they wont release it. But it exists and Googlers use it.

>> how is it possible that no pics/further *confirmed*
>> infos have been stated so far
Google has a strict NDA and is monitoring who knows what on the project? Learnt from observing companies such as Apple maybe?

>> what customers would google really have for a gphone
Localised targeted advertising (eg. "You are .25 milies from Topman in Birmingham where a 25% sale is currently on.")

Mrrix32 [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

If Google does release a phone, it's less than £130 and has a good spec then yes I'll buy it (I need a new phone, my Lobster 700 TV got run over by a car, the iPhone is on O2 and is too bloody expensive)

Hey this forum wouldn't be the same without the predictable monthly posts about GDrive and GPhone rumours :D

Martin Porcheron [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

>> about GDrive and GPhone rumours :D
hehe

Keith Chan [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Looking forward to it! ;P

Zim [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

[put at-character here]James Xuan: Yeah, me too. I'm at work ¬¬

RobotJ [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

Yeah..i won..they don't release a mobile phone ;) (unfortunately)

It's in german:
http://www.spiegel.de/netzwelt/mobil/0,1518,510030,00.html

Mark "Rizzn" Hopkins [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

Meh. That's a re-hash of the poorly written hit-piece NYT did on Google yesterday.

DPic [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Ahh!! I'm so torn! Do i save up for the OpenMoko Neo1973 or the GPhone??? http://www.openmoko.com/

[put at-character here]RobotJ no..you didn't win at all. that article simply says the they are developing software. and they are. and we haven't been saying much more. but the software is for phones. which means phones will be sold with a google operating system. a google phone. sorry for all the priods. i'm really tired. it's quarter to 4 in the morning.

jon bradford [PersonRank 2]

16 years ago #

Without sounding stupid – am I the only person who thinks that an HTC manufactured phone with a Google OS and applications will ever be called an HTC phone or a Google Phone.

It might not have a google logo on it but i can't imagine it will ever be refered to as anything else.

For those who don't think a Google Phone will compete against Apple – think again. I agree that Apple is great at delivering hardware and software – but where current mobile makers fall short is a decent UI and applications – roll on Google.

Reto Meier [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Google and Apple have fundamentally different missions. Apple is about selling high-end, high-margin consumer goods. First computers, then iPods, now phones. What do they all have in common? They look *extremely* good, work very well, are notably reliable, and cost about 20-50% more than comparable products. Sony does (did?) the same thing with its electronics. The name 'Sony' on a TV jacks the price up 20-50% just because of the name (and its connotations).

Google's philosophy is to generate traffic by releasing interesting and exciting products (where possible, for free). Their idea is simple – they have a company worth $190b based solely on advertising revenues. Traffic == more add impressions == more money.

As far as Apple's concerned it can handle the competition from Google, both Google and Apple will steal share from the established players that offer neither Apple's shiny goodness or Google's open, customisable OS and compelling free services.

In short. If the gPhone cometh, it's not Apple that should be worried it's everyone else in the market.

DPic [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Can't they just add a layer to OpenMoko or something? :(The OpenMoko is scheduled to go on sale December 20th. I really hate to see duplicated effort on two awesome open source projects like this. Can anybody make some real differences between the GPhone and the OpenMoko? Besides the fact that one of them has Google Software built in.

Reto Meier [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Given that we have no confirmed details on the gPhone (or indeed, Google confirmation that it even exists!), it's pretty difficult to say how it's different to OpenMoko...

DPic [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Yeah i just need condolence in knowing that OpenMoko wasn't in vain. then again, there's no real proof of this G Phone but i don't think we've ever seen this much speculation over something that turned out to be untrue. Not even GoogleOS and it actually does exist as something used internally.

But if they do release a mobile OS...why wouldn't they make a public version of their GoogleOS? I actually like Ubuntu fine and would prefer if they didn't but i'm just throwing it out there.

P.S. Speaking of Ubuntu, the Ubuntu Massachusetts Local Community Team just got approved as an official team and i just got approved as being an official Ubuntu member! (two separate things) https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MassachusettsTeam :)

DPic [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Also, wasn't there talk of Google making their own open source license? Could this be released under that?

I just realized the difference i wanted to find between OpenMoko and the G Phone-- the OpenMoko Neo1973 is completely open source (hardware too!)

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!