Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Blogging Begginners

DPic [PersonRank 10]

Thursday, October 4, 2007
16 years ago2,537 views

Alright can anyone give me some blogging 101?

I'd like to start blogging but i'm not sure what makes a good blog, how to focus my blog, etc, etc.

I'm not a very experienced writer and i was just looking for advice.

Here's what i have: http://pinstack.blogspot.com/

James Xuan [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Wow, I really like your style of writing Danny. My favourite line from it is

"...I haven't actually tried this since i prefer to run only operating systems that don't suck ..."

Classic! Anyway keep it up. You've been added to my bookmarks and my daily checklist!

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

One approach is to stick with one interesting topic, and one that isn't covered daily yet, or where you can add new perspective...

You could also start a sketchcast blog (blog with only sketchcasts covering the daily topics), this way you have topics others have but you give the medium itself a new spin, making for an interesting place!

Zim [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

In my opinion, what makes a good blog is making it your own; writing about what you like and what is interesting for you.
Think you are a reader, and ask yourself: is this interesting? would I read this?
If the answer any of those questions is 'no', then try to modify what you are writing about. :)

DPic [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Well i don't know what i could cover specifically that isn't really covered by someone somewhere yet but how can i get opinions on what i have so far?

DPic [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

More specifically, i'm not sure how to chose what sites i link to on the side. There are so many sites i like, i'm not sure how to discriminate what sites are worth keeping there.

I'm also thinking of buying a domain and hosting the blog there. A forum like blogoscoped has would be cool too! Any way i could get hooked up with some sort of simple forum like what Philipp has going here?

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

> Well i don't know what i could cover specifically that
> isn't really covered by someone somewhere yet

Personally I like to read niche blogs, like for instance, The Generator Blog (which just list image etc. online generators), or the Information Aesthetics blog (which just lists nice information design). It's not really important if it's covered somewhere else as long as you're the one original great place to bring it all together. One niche I'd love to see, but that's just my totally personal taste, is a Crowd Intelligence Blog (linking only to new or interesting websites which in some way are powered by crowd intelligence, MutatingPictures.com, CrowdChess.com).

The funny thing is that over time, you will automatically become an expert on that subject! Another cool bonus is that people start to think of your blog when they find a new link and submit it to you. E.g. when I see a cool data visualization, I might quickly jump to InfoAesthetics and submit it.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!