Google Blogoscoped

Forum

China Blocks All RSS feeds.  (View post)

James Xuan [PersonRank 10]

Friday, October 5, 2007
16 years ago5,832 views

China is supposedly blocking ALL RSS feeds.Check out Techcrunches page
[via http://www.techcrunch.com/2007/10/04/china-blocking-rss-feeds/]

Above 1 comments were made in the forum before this was blogged,

James Xuan [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Why am I thanked? I didn't mention that bit? Thanks!

Steve Baker [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

Access to the feeds.feedburner.com domain has been blocked for about a month now. The main site is still accessible.

Feedburner feeds are still accessible either via a proxy, or Google Reader/Bloglines.

There's a round up of the Feedburner blockage at virtualreview.org (which itself is currently blocked in China): http://virtualreview.org/china/search/feedburner

Other notable sites that are currently blocked: wordpress.com, typepad.com, news.bbc.co.uk, wikipedia and blogspot.

There are many other sites blocked, as they happen to be on a shared host and the ip has made it's way into the firewall rules.

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

> Why am I thanked? I didn't mention that bit?

(You mentioned TechCrunch, TechCrunch mentioned WebPulse...)

Scot Frank [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

>Note that sometimes what may be blocked in one region in China mainland may not be blocked in another region in the country.

Additionally, access to sites can vary by ISP, and even one minute to the next due to dynamic filtering rules.

The EFF people have written some interesting papers, in addition to your general google search results.

徐杰 [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

feeds.feedburner.com is blocked for months in china(www.feedburner.com is still accessible), I think because it's acquired by google.

Since Google Reader can read many blocked blogs,maybe it will be blocked soon.

Don Danz [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

I'm such a loser...I never get banned anywhere.

hebbet [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

It's a great site and tool

Lungle! [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

feeds.feedburner.com is blocked
flckr.com is blocked
google.com(include reader、notebook、ect. ) sometime blocked sometime unblock
I'm in China
I will be crazzy
Gtalk:Lungle at gmail dot com

Lungle! [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

China have many ISP
Every ISP have their own Block List

Juha-Matti Laurio [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Duncan Riley of TechCrunch wrote the article after using the test site to test the blocking. I think mentioning both James's name and TechCrunch's reference was just okay.

16 years ago #

It would be interesting to get some examples which popular feeds are confirmed as blocked.

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Boing Boing sort of confirms their feed being blocked (another Feedburner feed):
http://www.boingboing.net/2007/10/06/china-blocks-all-rss.html

Andy Wong [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

As many people pointed, the key point that the PRC government is to make is that:
Though not possible 100% blocking, communism party government just did well enough to disrupt people's free access to the Internet, and make people to be in fear enough to do self censorship, and teach people about the fact that who's in charge. Fear and terror, the way to dominant, and of course, the way to mismanage.

16 years ago #

Thanks for the Boing Boing report.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!