Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Lessig On Corruption (Video)  (View post)

James Xuan [PersonRank 10]

Saturday, October 6, 2007
16 years ago4,431 views

Good Video!

Travis Harris [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

hear, all ye good people, hear what this brilliant and eloquent speaker has to say!

(hear, hear!)

Iolaire McFadden [PersonRank 6]

16 years ago #

Nice to listen to. One question – is it common in the EU to interview people (non-native speakers) in English then subtitle it?

For example here in the US, if you were interviewing anyone, say even a Spanish speaker like the Mexican president, you would hear the questions asked in English and maybe 1 second of the response in Spanish then the transition in English. The only time our broadcasters would subtitle it and hear it in the original form is if someone was speaking English that is very hard to understand.

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

> One question – is it common in the EU to interview
> people (non-native speakers) in English then subtitle it?

On German TV they mostly dub it over with German language, and the foreign speaker will have a bug in their ear to translate the German question back into their language. I heard that ratings here drop if they do it differently, not sure if that's true. But German TV is bad, they unfortunately basically never show original language stuff. In Netherlands for instance across the border, it is far more common to air US shows in English and then just add subtitles.

Peter [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

maybe he finally read some Chomsky. he should have done it 10 years ago.

Mark M [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

His best example is something that the government itself is enabling (the ability to data-mine meetings and transactions). What is 'the common person' doing in that situation, besides maybe querying some .gov website and then blogging about some connection he perceives from the correlation of events? Lawrence is a hero, and he gets my support 100%, but I don't think he's presenting a very interesting case in this interview.

Joe Public [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

Only Solution
++++++++++++++

1. Political parties should stop accepting money as donations, instead raise their funds through equal annual membership fee. Political parties should be doing membership drive rather than donation drive.

2. Currency is nothing but a *token* and common sense says that any token needs redemption obligation by the issuer to make it *valid* otherwise the token issuer will issue tokens and become rich.

Currency should be issued against a "basket of commodities" and issuer should have *redemption* obligation. Currency issuer will issue currency against purchase of commodity and will redeem the currency with the commodities when currency is submitted to them, this will act as a market stabilizing method and money supply cannot exceed the basket of commodity production in a country.

All banking transactions has to be made online and in real time, this means banks can only lend money they have in their deposit account and banks should display their aggregate accounts "Total Deposits" and "Total Loans" on their website in real time and obviously the Total Deposits should always be "more than" Total Loans they give at any point of time.

3. When currency is directly linked to commodities (energy) everything will fall in place, the *cheapest goods* will be those produced with *minimum use of energy* unlike today when cheapest goods are the ones produced with maximum use of fossil fuels. This will automatically make the economy sustainable and environment friendly.

Seth Finkelstein [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Worse, what's to stop a partisan political Noise Machine from making phony issues out of some of the data, and burying important data?

Stephan Locher [PersonRank 9]

16 years ago #

I think it's important what kind of data about the politicans is brought together, it should only be some work related data, no private sex videos or something similar.

And I'm not sure if it would work, in Switzerland for example we are able to watch all debates in parliament on www.parlament.ch and even view the vote of the politicans in parliamental votings.

I consider myself as a person interested more than normal in politics, however I don't check the votings of the people I voted for regularly which means that we don't need more data but a automatic way of comparing the data with what each one of us is regarding right and wrong.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!