Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Mutating Pictures Gallery  (View post)

PRab [PersonRank 1]

Tuesday, October 9, 2007
16 years ago10,320 views

Wow, great results. The I never though the results would look so good. Now that I see the finished product, I am smacking myself thinking "why didn't I think of that." Good work.

notbeinguseful [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

When I first hit the site the first day, I was already very impressed with the results. I wondered about merging the faces myself, but never got around to it. The results you showed are beautiful.

I'm still struggling with the animals, but I feel that my own rating system has generally leaned toward converging mass. The only thing I really want to see now is cross-breeding parameters. I have a feeling results would come more quickly that way... maybe.

RC [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Wow.. Wow.. Wow..

What a creative way to teach the "machine".

alek [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Yet another WOW!!!

The last image is especially impressive with the shading.

Mike [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

Genghis Khan and Jesus. Cool!

DPic [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

This is really amazing Philipp! Original too

Roger Browne [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

On the first day, I saw a fabulous female face.

If I had known how rare this would be, I would have saved it.

Zim [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

This is a very interesting investigation! It's amazing the last overlay of the image pool. Are you planning to use the results in any way?

Dang [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

真有趣啊。。。

[Translates to "Ah really interesting" in Google Translator.]

Freiddie [PersonRank 7]

16 years ago #

That last image looks like a lion's face.
Anyway, this is a brilliant simulation of "natural selection". Or should that be labeled "artificial selection"?

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

> If I had known how rare this would be, I would have saved it.

Roger, here are two archived ones from day 1:

~Evening CET:
http://blogoscoped.com/files/mutatingpictures-gallery/day-1-1.jpg

~After midnight CET:
http://blogoscoped.com/files/mutatingpictures-gallery/day-1-2.jpg

Roger Browne [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

The one I saw on Day 1 looked more like Joan Baez.

http://www.joan-baez.com/joan.jpg

bitbutter [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

[put at-character here]Freiddie "Anyway, this is a brilliant simulation of "natural selection". Or should that be labeled "artificial selection"?"

Since humans are doing the selecting this is artificial selection.

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

There's a long debate of that subject on http://scienceblogs.com/pharyngula/2007/10/you_too_can_be_an_agent_of_sel.php ,
e.g. some people saying "Artificial selection is a subset of natural selection."

Scientist [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

Well now; this is a great little demonstration of how evolution works. The misses are excluded; and the hits; those that "work" or improve the system towards a more logical or desired result are saved. When you save lots of little positive changes; you see evolution. In the real world; evolution saves the positive survival changes. You've just proved how evolution works.

Clare [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

Scientist, the question remains then, in the real world, who is doing the selecting? Or to use your words, the saving?
Hehe, you walked into that one :-)

Great idea Philipp, I'm enjoying watching the faces evolve. It has made me think a lot about evolution and whether it's possible to learn anything about natural selection in the 'real world' from such 'artificial' selection.

Do you think everyone is selecting for the same things? With a few faces – and bodies / animals more so – I've wondered whether other people are seeing the same things that I am. It may be significant that faces have actually evolved – it implies that people interpret 'ink blots' in similar ways. Although, thinking about it, computer facial recognition must work on a similar principle.

zack [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

brilliant, i didn't know what to expect when i did my selections a few weeks ago. i am amazed

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!