Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Google AdSense Video Units  (View post)

Hashim warren [PersonRank 4]

Tuesday, October 9, 2007
16 years ago4,559 views

"Ads are best when they’re not annoying"

"Best" for who, and "best" for what?

Unfortunately, ads that disrupt attention are the most effective.

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

> Unfortunately, ads that disrupt attention are the most effective.

I don't really agree, I think (online) ads that disrupt attention better train us to ignore them... causing banner blindness. And banner blindness is suboptimal for both the visitor AND the advertiser. Plus, it raises the barrier for website owners to include these video units (as they may be rightful wary of visitors fleeing their site), thus giving less distribution to the ads. But of course, there may be place for different kind of ad concepts on the market – it's only that usually Google erred on the side of more minimalist ads concepts in the past, so this is a somewhat noteworthy continuing development in a different direction...

Luke [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

[put at-character here]Philipp:

don't you mean they're much more obstrusive?

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Thanks Luke.

Edited to what I meant now:

"this is a far step from the minimalist ad approaches of Google's past, and much less obtrusive than the old, more tasteful YouTube ads we saw"
--->
"this is a far step from the minimalist ad approaches of Google's past, and the much less obtrusive old, more tasteful YouTube ads we saw"

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

I agree that the unit displays too many ads. The “companion ad” should've been enough.

Haochi [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

I wonder how those two ads are related to the video.

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

The video is about advertising, AdSense, video distribution etc.

Fresh [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

Looks like the Adsense Video Unit account roll out has begun for U.S. publishers. You can see a live version of the standard player here (scroll down): http://www.freshtribe.com/story/music-mp3s-seeqpod-playable-search-engine.aspx

It's too bad that they don't allow you to use the Video Unit with individual videos, but instead have to choose between Automated Content or Category/ Provider. Hopefully, they will open up a bit more in the future. I will say it's super simple to setup.

John Crenshaw [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

Yeah, you should be able to pick whatever video you want. Anyway, I've got mine up...here it is... Video Unit in action
http://floatlikearock.com/adsense-video-units/

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!