Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Live Search 411

Avrohom Eliezer Friedman (AEF) [PersonRank 10]

Tuesday, October 16, 2007
16 years ago4,471 views

Microsoft released today a direct competition to Goog 411 – Live Search 411. (You can see their official announcement http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/press/2007/oct07/10-15OSBUpdatesPR.mspx)

Calling the number – 1-800-CALL-411 (1-800-225-5411) I immediately recognized the familiar voice from TellMe (1-800-555-8355). TellMe already has a 411 service called Business search. I went to TellMe's website and saw that it said it was a Microsoft Subsidiary. (I didn't recall seeing that before.) I googled it and found out that Microsoft bought TellMe on March 14th 2007 about 3 weeks prior to the BETA launch of Goog-411. When you call 1-800-CALL-411 you get the business search services.

Just another attempt to keep the pace. Although TellME's voice recognition software has years of real live experience by now.

Keith Chan [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Copy-cat product ...

16 years ago #

you could check out their web-site at http://www.livesearch411.com/

James Xuan [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

NO FLIPPING WAY!

David Hetfield [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

I'll never get it,
they'll copy everything Google makes? :|

Vladimir C. [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

Tellme has been doing 411 for years, Google copied Tellme :-)

16 years ago #

Yeah, but i'm sure they got the idea from Google, not Tellme. Right? ;)

Kirby Witmer [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Why is it that as soon as google comes out with a product, they are considered the inventors of it? Come on, guys, tellme has been around for years before Google ever even considered doing something like this.

Like Vladimir said, Google Copied Tellme!!! :)

16 years ago #

Woa! Woa!

TellMe has Been around for years.

Business Search has not been around for years. TellMe started Business Search anybody know?.........

One week AFTER GOOGLE STARTED IT!

http://www.techcrunch.com/2007/04/16/tellme-launches-free-411-business-search-service/

Microsoft bought TellMe a month before TellMe started Business Search.

George R [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

In the USA you can get directory assistance for area code XXX from phone number XXX-555-1212. Fees may apply.

I believe that Tellme has powered the automated part of 800-555-1212, the directory assistance for toll free numbers, for some time.

800-GOOG-411, 800-CALL-411, and 800-555-TELL:BUS are for business listings.
800-FREE-411 includes both business and residential listings.

16 years ago #

That's correct – but the first fully automated buisness search was GOOG-411 (A week b/4 TellMe and months before Microsoft)

16 years ago #

That's not what i've said.
I'm just saying that every service Google release (whether they invented it or not) Microsoft try to imitate them, by releasing the same service (with some minor adjustments of course).

I'm not saying Google is the inventor of everything they offer us.
All i'm saying is that Microsoft is just jealous of Google, and copy most of their services.

Now i'm clearer guys?

Jay Clayton [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

All of you are wrong, but it doesn't matter. Tellme has been answering billions of 411 calls with voice reco for years. Try both services --- 1-800-CALL-411 and 1-800-GOOG-411. You will clearly see that1-800-CALL-411 is a far superier user experience, provides more relevant results, and that's what customers care about. 99.5% of the population has never heard of either product so it's not too late to win customers by having a far superior product!

16 years ago #

<< You will clearly see that1-800-CALL-411 is a far superier user experience, provides more relevant results, and that's what customers care about. >>

You're saying that, based on... what exactly?

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!