Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Popularity of "Google" in Google Trends?  (View post)

Moktoipas [PersonRank 1]

Thursday, October 18, 2007
16 years ago8,813 views

I search google on google sometimes:

I type "google" in the location bar of firefox
It search "google " in google and open the first result (the google home page)

(I hate ctrl+enter)

Mrrix32 [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

People just typing "Google" in to the address bar and hitting enter?

Mrrix32 [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

[put at-character here]Moktoipas
6 seconds behind you :D

NicP [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

i've seen people do the same thing myself. but why has the frequency increased so greatly just this year?

phatsphere [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

sometimes i want to get to google sets or google books. i'll never remember all google urls. would be more interesting to compare graphs between "google sets" "google books" "google docs" and so on.

Luke [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

maybe just firefox has increased their browser shares.. as as far as i know IE doesn't offer (naturally) automatic google search

phatsphere [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

example: http://www.google.com/trends?q=google+groups%2C+google+trends%2C+google+docs%2C+google+books&ctab=0&geo=all&date=2007&sort=0

Mrrix32 [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

[put at-character here]Luke
I think there's an option in the settings... possibly (?)
And I think the Google Toolbar has the option to set Big G as the default as well.

Everyone: Please correct me if I'm wrong, I can't really remember :)

CalvinNgan [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

does the results include the results from "Adsense for Search" program where bloggers incorporate them into their blogs?

Joe Ritze [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

I think the reason it's up (searches for google on google) is because of all the new products Google Labs has been pumping out, I search "Google" sometimes just to see if anything new catches my eye, but more often i search for "Google {something}" not just the single word "Google"

How many times can you fit Google into your comment?
(I got 7)

Ankit [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

Perhaps some it is related to people wanting to see its stock price.

NicP [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

[put at-character here]Phatsphere:

you made what I thought to be a pretty valid point, until i reinserted one of the original terms:

http://www.google.com/trends?q=google+groups%2C+google+trends%2C+google+docs%2C+google+books%2C+sex&ctab=0&geo=all&date=2007&sort=0

note to others:

the original graph is not a graph showing the popularity of Google as a search ENGINE, its showing its popularity of the word "Google" as a search TERM.

which means people are typing the word "google" into the Google search box more often than they are typing "sex" or "music". it boggles my mind.

Frank Taylor [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

I think a lot of searches have to do with wanting to find things related to Google products. According to keyword analysis on my Google Earth Blog, people are searching:

- google earth
- google earth blog
- google mars
- google flight simulator
- google maps
- google earthquake
- google weather
etc.

Eric Cranston [PersonRank 3]

16 years ago #

Sex however cannot beat the almighty YouTube. Nor can Google.

http://www.google.com/trends?q=sex%2C+gmail%2C+youtube%2C+google&ctab=0&geo=all&date=2007&sort=0

Anatoly [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

Makes you wonder how much more it would get skewed if google started offering products called "google sex" or "google music"

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

When you search for [Google] in Google Trends you see an estimation for the popularity of all the queries that contain "Google", not just for "Google".

A [PersonRank 2]

16 years ago #

Or maybe the method G uses for trends is more complicated and does not necessarily count the number of actual searches.

Mrrix32 [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

All you lot are listing different Google products, your missing the biggest search query... Google Blogoscoped!

Actualy if you look http://www.google.com/trends?q=blogoscoped&ctab=0 WTF???

JWaggs [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

If it includes G news searches, I search the news for Google all the time to see what they're up to.

Hemanshu [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

same here

Anthony [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

It must be people typing Google in the FireFox search box.. it's probably increased in the past year because so many more people are getting FireFox, and FireFox address bar will now search google when you type into the address bar.

elyk [PersonRank 6]

16 years ago #

Firefox also used to come with search keywords set by default – including "google *" to search for something on google. But newer versions do not include this quick search keyword, so when I sit down at a computer other than my own and habitually type "google search terms" in the address bar, it searches for "google search terms" instead of just "search terms". But I'm not sure that long-time firefox users like me are a large enough group to explain the huge volume of searches for google.

Haochi [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

https://www.google.com/webmasters/tools/docs/en/images/query_stats.gif

Here you have it. :)

Michael [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

I always use the URL bar in firefox, so if I want to actually go to the google homepage, rather than just use an 'I'm feeling lucky' search, I'll type google into the bar – I do that easily two or three times a day, far more that I search for sex, movies, music, or flowers.

Jabapyth [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

Well, as we all know, google is self-aware (type "google" into google and click "im feeling lucky ;)

RC [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Wow.. Haochi, I can't believe that information on your screenshot is public. That is a goldmine.

chipseo [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

This was actually picked up on Fox News tonight. I don't know if it was from this info or not but they quoted the search terms listed in this blog post on the "Fox Report" with Sheppard Smith.

I have used this feature for a while but it was the first time I had seen a news article specially on this subject for google. They had their "internet correspondent" who reported on it, maybe she reads the blogs?

16 years ago #

I can't believe Google.com is #2 for [Google] on average.

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Chipseo, what was the Fox report about?

Was it in any relation to the Reuters release:
http://www.reuters.com/article/technologyNews/idUSPAR75016820071017?feedType=RSS&feedName=technologyNews&rpc=22&sp=true

Roger Browne [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

The increase in Google searches for "Google" probably matches the increase in Firefox use.

And it happens also because the Google home page uses Javascript to move the cursor away from the browser address bar and into the Google search box:

"document.f.q.focus(); The Billion Dollar Line of JavaScript"
   http://www.blogstorm.co.uk/blog/billion-dollar-javascript/

me too [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

i usually search for "Google translation" as there's no easy way to get to the google translator!

hopefully google looks at these trend results to determine where they are lacking proper linking to many of their useful (and obviously often used) products!

16 years ago #

There's a link straight on the homepage: Language tools. There's another link at the bottom of each search results page.

Florian [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

In BBC's TV series "IT Crowd", there was a scene some weeks (months?) ago where one of the main characters insisted that "seriously – if you type google into google, you will brake the internet" ^^

Martin Porcheron [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Shame the IT Crowd series was so short, much better than the first in my opinion though.

Haochi [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fet0SCt7uGg
For those who haven't seen it yet...

Thailon, Slovakia [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

Google uses not so much clear URLs for their services. The Google Home page describing their own services is really not too much transparent. So, I search 'google' string on google.com to get all their services for instance. I really do not like the way how they publish and describe new services.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!