Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Mozilla's Top Revenue Is From Google  (View post)

RobotJ [PersonRank 1]

Thursday, October 25, 2007
16 years ago5,546 views

It's only benefit for the web developer if both browsers implement a new feature/standard..since you don't know which browser the customer uses and you have to implement your app for both

Colin Colehour [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

I wonder how much of that money will soon go to the mobile version of Mozilla's browser?

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

RobotJ, plus sometimes you get lucky and two browsers independently develop the same feature and then someone writes a wrapper around it. I'm thinking of VML (IE vector language) vs Canvas (Firefox, Opera... vector language). Of course that's not the ideal situation...!

mc [PersonRank 3]

16 years ago #

Seems interesting that the revenue only grew by 25% from 2005 to 2006 when the number of people using firefox grew by much more than that, in his blog Mitchell says "Search revenue increased at a lesser rate than Firefox usage growth as the rate of payment declines with volume."

So Mozilla isn't likely to get much more money from Google per year even if they keep increasing market share.

In the pdf of the audited accounts there are a couple of interesting bits.

85% of the revenue is from their contract with Google, and the contract was due to expire in Nov 06 and was extended to Nov 08.

Marcin Sochacki (Wanted) [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

[put at-character here]mc:
s/in his blog/in her blog/

kappa [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

Funny, but 2 weeks ago Goog's own engineering vice Douglas Merrill said Google does not pay Mozilla Fnd anything except Adsense checks.

DPic [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Hasn't it always been known that this was true? Or does this same thing make it's way back into the news every year or something? Anyways, this is a related article that i just got in my Google alert on Google :P http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9044160

Mysterius [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

[put at-character here]kappa: Interesting. Looking closely at that article, does it really mean that Google pays Mozilla whenever somebody searches Google (which seems strange, to me) or did the author mean to say that Mozilla gets a cut if users click on ads from searching through Firefox search box?
I always thought it was the second, but now I'm unsure.

Mysterius [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

[put at-character here]DPic: Quote from that article...

"Mozilla and Google signed a two-year contract last year that pays the former for assigning the latter as the browser's default search engine, and for click-throughs on ads placed on the ensuing search results pages."

That seems to suggest my interpretation was correct.

James Xuan [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Woh! Deja-vu!

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!