Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Mozilla Prism Aims to Bring Web Apps Closer to the Desktop  (View post)

Jorge Oliveira [PersonRank 1]

Friday, October 26, 2007
16 years ago8,964 views

Microsoft has already this: HTA

Reto Meier [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

If only someone invented a kind of 'virtual machine' that we could use to run the same applications across different operating systems and processor architectures.

Oh.

'Prism' isn't the way to bring the OS to the desktop. Things like Gears, .NET, and Adobe AIR are the first steps in that direction.

Freiddie [PersonRank 7]

16 years ago #

More to that list:
   – Slow web means slow web applications – a lot of lag for the impatient.
   – It just doesn't feel like an application – you right-click and see menu that doesn't belong to that app
   – If the connection fails, so does the application
   – The interface feels disconnected to the OS interface
   – It STILL looks like a webpage than an application
   – and more...

From personal experience.

siggi [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

Reminds me of Webrunner.

Stephen Tordoff [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

[put at-character here]Siggi

"The first of these experiments is based on Webrunner, which we’ve moved into the Mozilla Labs code repository and renamed to Prism."

Reto Meier [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

I find it odd that after years of decrying IE as inferior to FireFox based largely on the lack of tab support, that the newest development from Mozilla is launching separate browser windows for individual pages.

SQ89 [PersonRank 3]

16 years ago #

I wonder why Java Web Start hasn't replaced web applications yet. It's faster than Ajax most of the times, and it allows for nice desktop integration – when the user wants it: he can choose whether he allows the app to access the hard drive or the network. It would allow users to choose for free software for this whole cloud thing, instead of the proprietary, USA-hosted and insecure Web 2.0. And best of it all: the technology is all here, there's no need to make HTML imitate native OS widgets or to build new local caching stuff.

Schultzter [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

Now Prism! What's wrong with Adobe AIR? Silverlight? Java Web-Start? The host of "web desktops" like Google's or Yahoo's? Or for that matter, X Windows?!

Niraj Sanghvi [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

A much greater option for those with Vista is Start++. It was created by a Microsoft employee in his free time, and it lets you bring up all sorts of webpages and use search shortcuts – all in your Start menu. So I hit the Windows key, type "g blogoscoped", and I get google results right in my start menu. Or I can type "calc 50*3432" and hit enter to get Google Calculator results for that query.

Now it has support for startlets, so you can launch mobile versions of whatever app you want. It's great to get a quick, lightweight interface when you don't need the complete version or you don't have your browser open.

It may sound like an ad, but I was surprised at how useful it was and in my opinion it's better than adding a million gadgets or links to your desktop in order to get quick or simplified access to the web.

http://brandontools.com/content/StartPlusPlus.aspx

Jakob Kruse [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

Indeed, this seems very similar to the HTA "technology" that Microsoft has had for years. Ahead of its time it was...

David Mulder [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Finally, I already used webrunner for some time and hope this will work a lot better at managing the different services.

hebbet [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

It is a very nice and useful program

Anonymours Coward [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

[put at-character here] Niraj Sanghvi

Or Launchy, I press alt + space and get a menu like that, except i can add on mods to it, i can fully customize it, it's open source, low system resources, skin able, etc.
http://www.launchy.net/

Mrrix32 [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

:-(Won't run on 98 :-(
Lets me install it but won't run

James Xuan [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Ok Martin, it's rare I say this but getting a mac would be better than 98! Why haven't you upgraded! It's 10 years old!!!

Mrrix32 [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Well my laptop was running XP, which got F***ed up and all I had spare was 98(SE). Possibly getting XP on it soon (Before you say anything it won't run Ubuntu 7.10 dunno why). On the plus side my PC has XP (and runs Prism just fine).

(Laptop came off eBay without XP License key, it actually helped me out as I'd lost my 98SE license key and the laptop had a sticker on the bottom of it :D)

16 years ago #

Haven't you heard of Tpb? thype "tpb" in firefox location bar.

Anywayz, I might actually buy a mac one of these days...

16 years ago #

Oh! And what about Damn small linux! or Xubuntu???

Mrrix32 [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Where did you think I was going to get XP from? :D It's just I havn't been bothered about it til Mozilla, Google and everyone else stopped supporting Win 98 (Firefox 3 and basically every Google Product)

Just a small bit of info. Google Toolbar WILL run on Win 98, Google just won't let you download it. Just use User Agent Switcher or download the xpi on a newer machine then install it :-)

And for the purpose of keeping this on topic Prism only seems to run on Windows atm.

16 years ago #

I can't really find a use for prism atm. With gmail I frequently paste url's in s it's handier for me to open it in the sidebar or in another tab. iPhone Facebok could work though...

Mrrix32 [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

The only "Useful" function I've fought of is making shortcuts to PWA slideshows (Lot Nicer than all the menu bars/having to have it full screen)

While Gmail/Docs/Reader/etc. would be OK there's much point in it.

16 years ago #

Wow, they look great Martin, thanks for the idea!

Dave Lowe [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

I started with Webrunner, upgraded to Prism. I like the fact I can quickly load GMail and other apps without running the browser. Firefox is awesome, don't get me wrong, but I am a plugin whore. I have maybe a dozen or so, and it certainly does slow down the Fox.

If I just want a quick peek at my GMail or my Facebook account, or RSS feeds from Google Reader, Prism is the way to go.

Also. I am using Prism to set up a "walled garden" for my five-year-old. She loves to get on the web and play games. So I disabled Firefox and IE on her profile, and set up icons to her favorite sites using Prism. She can go to the Disney site, NOGGIN, Nick Jr. and such. The chances of inoffensive links being picked up from those sites is very slim. So she can surf with relative safety and I do not have to worry as much. She cannot type in any URLs and she can only go to stuff linked from those sites. And if Prism thinks it needs to open a browser, it can't because I have it neutered in her profile.

So it is a pretty useful thing for me, at least.

[Signature removed – Tony]

Mrrix32 [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

And as Lifehacker has now pointed out the Flash Google Talk would be quite nice in prism as well. (I had thought of this before but forgot about it)

BUGabundo [PersonRank 7]

16 years ago #

[put at-character here]Mrrix32 use Ubuntu Gutsy 7.10 alternate CD to boot your PC

Stiffler [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

I think Prism isn't particularly interesting for desktop machines as they tend to always-on net access. But think about PDAs for a moment.

Suppose you want to use Google Calendar but there is no net access. It's highly desirable to still be able to consult the calendar and edit it. When net access is back, the PDA and google servers synchronise. Will Prism allow that?

16 years ago #

Hmmm... I don't know, but to add to that, would it work with Gears enabled sites?

Stiffler [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

To follow up my own question: it seems Gears will allow just that. And about 10 days people started noticing that google calendar is Gears enabled:

http://blogoscoped.com/forum/112044.html
http://mashable.com/2007/10/24/google-calendar-now-works-with-gears/
http://www.marketingpilgrim.com/2007/10/exclusive-google-gears-now-on-calendar.html

Unfortunately gears seems presently suited to desktop machines but not ready for Windows Mobile 5 PDAs like mine. :-(

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!