Google Blogoscoped

Forum

How This Blog's Move Went With Google  (View post)

James Xuan [PersonRank 10]

Saturday, October 27, 2007
16 years ago5,541 views

Yes, and I love the new look!

Ken Aston [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

Very interesting analysis!

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

It could take some time to convert all the backlinks from the old address to the new one. But I still like the old address and this blog will always be associated in my mind with the unusual blog.outer-court.com.

Zoran [PersonRank 3]

16 years ago #

Maybe PR at your blog is "only 5" but when you linked http://www.fragrantica.com/ for "Google perfume" http://blogoscoped.com/archive/2007-09-27.html there was significant increase in organic traffic from Google (up to 15% more).

Toolbar pagerank means less and less I guess.

Hashim Warren [PersonRank 4]

16 years ago #

was there a drop off in your feed subscribers?

Matt Cutts [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

I'm glad it went well. The before and after graphs are especially neat.

I'm guessing that this will be a popular search result for moving one's site, so I'll add two pieces of advice:

1. Begin by trying to move just one directory or one set of pages to the new site. If the new pages appear to get about as much traffic as before, then it should be safe to move all your pages over to your new site.

2. Use Google's webmaster tools to verify that you own your original site. Then download the list of your backlinks via our backlink tool. If you want, consider going through the list and writing to people that link to your old site--ask them to update their link to your new site. If you're a mom/pop website, you may want to do this for everyone that links to you. If you're a mid-size site, maybe you want to pick the links that you think would help the most (e.g. if a magazine has written about your site, it would help if they updated their link).

Neither of these is required, but both could be helpful. For #2, you could also use Yahoo/MSN to check for backlinks that Google might not have found.

Finally, remember that you can do pretty much unlimited per-page-level 301s, so if you can map old page A directly to the corresponding page at the new site B, that's much better than just redirecting everything to your new root page.

Eugene Villar [PersonRank 5]

16 years ago #

Ditto about Technorati. They're not honoring the permanent redirect and I had to e-mail them (after 2 years!) to delist my old URL because it was inflating my incoming links.

Freiddie [PersonRank 7]

16 years ago #

I like data analyses... It's feels like what computers were originally intended for. Since the "move went rather smoothly", I guess I should say "Congrats!".

Salik Shah [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

Thank you for the post on your transition. The new look is good. Google has dropped PR of many in last few days...

Matt Cutts [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

This thread should have more comments than it does right now. :)

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Matt, why?

Mike [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

I sell two (very small inconspicuous text links, just enough the pay the dedicated server) on my home page and noticed a drop in PR (from 8 to 7). However, I don't think that it because my site is penalized but that it probably never had a solid PR8 in the first place (perhaps 7.5/7.6). Still hurts though, considering the hours I spent each day for the last 11 years ;-(.

Peter Forsberg [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

I moved my small site (30 + pages only) from a free hosting to paid hosting in a new country and new domain name. I didn't loose much but it was hard work. The full story on: www.donpedrowebdesign.netfirms.com/how-change-domain.html

Basically my experience was as the report, with the exception, on a free server you won't get a 301-redirect.

Don pedro

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!