Forum

Is This a Bubble?  (View post)

corlyon [PersonRank 1]

Saturday, October 27, 2007
16 years ago4,385 views

Facebook goes to IPO,good news for me.

Matt Cutts [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Nice juxtaposition! I love the irony. :)

Bill Mac [PersonRank 9]

16 years ago #

Awesome. I wasn't 100% expecting the revelation at the end, but I was hoping for it.

Vingold [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

Very nicely done :-)

I think Facebook is the biggest con job on the planet right now. It has value – to be sure – but not THAT much. Microsoft just couldn't afford to lose another key web property to Google.

Eric Cranston [PersonRank 3]

16 years ago #

The difference between this bubble (if you call it that) and that one is that Internet products can do a lot more today and there's a lot more experienced people building with better products today.

However. Most things fail for a large number of reasons. And people are cheap. Getting Facebook users to actually pay for things? Well you just lost 99% at least. Advertisements? Now you are turning users off to it (like MySpace) and which has been happening to Facebook lately.

Honestly making real money off of things like Facebook is a crapshoot. It's getting better, more creative and working for the big boys like Facebook and MySpace but not that damn well. And eventually these sites are yesterdays news as the newest thing comes in to replace them.

Hong Xiaowan [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Zuosa is a Twitter Like Website in Chinese.

Today my company just released Zuosa Groups. This function can be use at School and Company market.

China already have FaceBook Copy(Xiaonei). My target competitor is FaceBook. Xiaonei is nothing if FaceBook come to China. We must try to find which flaw that facebook have.

The results were very simple, First, Facebook too complex, and its UI just try to make the users detour to get more page views. We need to work, need to study, FaceBook wasted our times.

Compared with Google, Google is very very good for saving time – Search and Go.

So, we decided use Twitter Mode mixed Google Groups Mode to get a Zuosa Groups. We keep to do subtration. Try to let the users go quickly.

We only intrested in chinese market, Dear Philipp Lenssen, do you like the markets in other languages, we can supply OEM service.

Helen M. Overland [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

I had to re-read the article after reading the "punchline"... great job.

It's fascinating to watch the scramble to invest in the party, but no-one knows for sure which house it's at. Facebook et al might have a fantastic audience, but the fundamentals of investing still apply. In the end it's still about who can make money for investors, not who's got the cheerleaders over.

Mrrix32 [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

That last bit just Ruled! :D

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

<<When Facebook launches its “SocialAds” advertising product on November 6th, the technology will reportedly rely on cookies – unique identifiers sent to each user’s computer from Facebook, and tracked by Facebook when they visit web pages.

The cookies can then be used to serve users contextually relevant ads on other sites, as those users surf across the web.

This could be how Facebook’s $15 billion valuation implied by Microsoft’s investment last week will start to make sense.>>
http://venturebeat.com/2007/10/29/cookie-tracking-how-facebook-could-be-worth-100-billion/

Of course, webmasters sill need to include the Facebook ad snippet before FB can utilize their user data to target the ads!

16 years ago #

I did some test theme at Wordpress, found that search result page can get high click. That means, facebook can not have the value as Google have.

Yes, Facebook know my detail, know my likes, but can not know what I need "now". Google simple know what I need "now". What I search, what I need.

16 years ago #

For instance, when I want to buy hosting, I search "Hosting" and click the right adword to buy. My hosting from this way.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!