Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Get a PageRank Victim Badge  (View post)

James Xuan [PersonRank 10]

Tuesday, October 30, 2007
16 years ago4,336 views

rofl

Mike [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

That's funny! Though I think people tend to place too much value on a PR.

Tadeusz Szewczyk [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

What about a Chinese Google victim badge? Has Google blocked your search results to please the censors?

David Hetfield [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Add YouTube to the list!

:P

John Honeck [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

hmmm...not sure pointing out to the world that you've been busted by Google breaking their guidelines is a good marketing strategy. Maybe drawing attention to it after you fix the problem would be a good way to save some face, but I don't think I'd brag about it.

chipseo [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

I love it... a PRV ranking

gareth jax [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

Cool i was spanked too :)

ClintDixon [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

My clients and I went up in PR.

Now that is true workmanship

Don Danz [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

I start a search engine...you don't pay to be in it, no one pays to use it, and you can opt out of it if you want.

Nobody uses my search engine, because I'm a nobody. Clearly, since it is my little search engine, I can do whatever I want with it. If your name or business starts with "S", I rank you lower...I just don't like that letter. On Tuesdays, I randomly pick people I don't like and rank them lower or their competitors higher.

It's my search engine, I can do whatever I want with it!

Because I'm just so darn cool (not really) my search engine grows in popularity. And grows and grows and grows. Now people are basing whole businesses on my little private search engine.

At what point do I lose the right to do whatever the heck I want with MY search engine??? If you don't like me ranking you lower because your name starts with an "S" then choose to de-listed and go away.

Why should I have to put up with people suing me because they don't like what I'm doing with their rankings???

Yes, I'm talking about Google...why all the G-hate...all I see is a free market. If you don't like my little search engine, start your own, but leave me alone to do whatever I want.

(My PR went from 5 to 4 a year ago and hasn't changed since.)

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Don, I see it this way: Google can do whatever they want with their site, and people can criticize them in however way they want on their site. In utopia of course, the one party tries not to abuse their power of market share, and the other party tries not to abuse power of influencing people with false criticism. And I think critics – like you – also of course have the right to criticize the criticizers!

As far as "when exactly does a search engine lose the right to screw up?" I think it does as soon as it opens its website (e.g. Snap got some heat for mixing organic results with ads even though they have basically no market share). However, the amount of attention naturally grows with the site...

Don Danz [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

Yeah, I agree with you, even before you replied. It's just that it's so...so...I don't know...grey? I like black and white.

I also absolutely despise the idea that people coming to my website can somehow impose an obligation on me based on their expectations. I'm free to be me...so is Google. I can't reconcile that belief in freedom with the obvious utility and expectations people have with what is essentially a public service provider.

Imagine you tire of Google and decide to become 80% Yahoo, but we've all come to rely on your Google greatness and many have even found ways to lawfully make money off your site...so we sue you and you have to go back churning out Google stuff again. You, me and Google should be free to do what we want.

And let me distinguish between mere criticisms and lawsuits or threats of lawsuits which is what I'm really talking about, or even government regulation.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!