Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Poll:IMAP/POP/WebInterface?

GuillaumeB [PersonRank 9]

Thursday, November 1, 2007
16 years ago4,228 views

Well after all this talk about GMail IMAP and GMail 2.0 I'd like to start a little survey and see how you guys access your Gmail account.

1- IMAP
2-POP
3-Web interface

As far as I am concerned, I used to access Gmail via the web and I switched to IMAP + Mac OS X Leopard's Maill.app.
Right now i'm trying to make the most of a Mail client and what it's gonna bring. Not sure I'll stick to it but it certianly more powerful overall.

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Web interface. Rarely, mobile web interface from my cell phone.

GuillaumeB [PersonRank 9]

16 years ago #

Do you rarely check your email on your mobile phone or do you mean you using a mobile client?

Danny [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

I always use the web interface.. I might try an imap client but don't have a computer now..

DaveB [PersonRank 3]

16 years ago #

I am giving the IMAP a try (with ThunderBird), but I will probably stick with the web interface. There really isn't anything that I need that that web interface doesn't have.

DPic [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

I think IMAP is great but i use the web interface

Keith Chan [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Web interface. On of the reason I like Gmail is because of its interface .. I just don't like the way Outlook organizes email.

DPic [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Nobody likes Outlook-- people use Thunderbird! :)

Jared Cherup [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Web interface, and from the Gmail mobile app.

Avrohom Eliezer Friedman (AEF) [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Web interface on Gmail.com and Google Apps

Rohit Srivastwa [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

priority wise

POP
web interface
mobile web interface
IMAP

Zim [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Web Interface

+backup (I don't have one, though)

Bryce R [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

I tried IMAP in Mail.app it was just to slow and unresponsive.

Martin Porcheron [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

I have Thunderbird minimised to my tray using the IMAP, but I also check the web interface.

And during the day, I often check on the Mobile app (if that counts).

TOMHTML [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Web interface, it's enough

James Xuan [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Web Interface, I would only use <strike>outl...</strike>Thuderbird if it alerted me when I had mail.

Tony Ruscoe [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

1. Web interface

2. Mobile web interface, occasionally switching to the basic HTML interface on my mobile. (I don't like the Java client and it's not available for Google Apps.)

3. POP using Outlook, which is mainly for backups. I'm starting to find myself using the web interface even when I'm on my home PC with Outlook installed just because it feels quicker and means my drafts are saved so that I can access them from anywhere.

I tried IMAP on my Nokia N73 but it was too slow and seemed pretty pointless when I can just go to the mobile web interface. I was going to try IMAP in Outlook but I'm happy with POP for the time being.

16 years ago #

>> Web Interface, I would only use <strike>outl...</strike>Thuderbird if it alerted me when I had mail.

Thunderbird does.

16 years ago #

How, like a pop up or a sound?

dpneal [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

web interface, sometimes the mobile app too.

16 years ago #

>> How, like a pop up or a sound?

Both. If you go to Tools -> Options -> General tab (on by default) you can choose a custom sound, or disable the popup or sound.

Roger Browne [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Web interface with Firefox. Rarely, with a Nokia N800 tablet (using the regular web interface, not the mobile interface).

16 years ago #

If you use Thunderbird, I suggest you use the Minimise to Tray extension aswell.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/addon/2110

16 years ago #

Thanks Martin!

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!