Google Blogoscoped

Forum

AOL Evil?  (View post)

bobz [PersonRank 0]

Wednesday, October 12, 2005
18 years ago

This is why I no longer help people who have the AOL virus installed on their machine.

elyk [PersonRank 6]

18 years ago #

Do you have a link for the "aol removal tool"?

624652 [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

Soon.. The troubles from the AOL Virus may be over via the AOL Removal Tool.

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

I'll check for the program.

18 years ago #

Here's a temporary download:
http://blogoscoped.com/temp/remove-aol9.exe

My (trusted) friend sent me this program, but still – use at your own risk.

18 years ago #

Actually, even that program leaves traces of AOL: the AOL Deskbar, as well as the system tray/ autostart icon.
I've downloaded the following trying to get rid of it all:
http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/OS-Enhancements/Autostart-and-Process-Viewer.shtml

18 years ago #

OK, and even now after running above program and rebooting, there's several folders and processes left (and they won't let themselves be killed easily).

18 years ago #

I went to Start -> Run -> [msconfig] -> Then win.ini (unchecked WAOL) and Services (unchecked AOL Connectivity Service, AOL Topspeed Monitor, and AOL Spyware Protection). There's still some pieces left (aolshcpy.dll) but that should be enough for now.

Milly [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Did you use Add/Remove Programs to let the AOL uninstaller do it's work first (it sounds like you didn't)? If not, isn't it a little unfair to imply blame on AOL for uninstalling badly?

I can't speak for AOL9, but AOL8 uninstalls reasonably cleanly (though it forgets about some of the Viewpoint Media Player gubbins it installs). Certainly it removes all the autostart and tray stuff, and I'd be surprised if AOL9 didn't.

I can't speak for 'Autostart and Process Viewer' either, but looking at the screenshots from your link, I doubt it's the ideal tool for the job. Any/all of these freeware tools have a good reputation (from me too, FWIW), and are well worth having to hand anyway :-

Starter
http://members.lycos.co.uk/codestuff/products_starter.html

Autoruns
http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/Autoruns.html

HiJackFree
http://www.hijackfree.com/en/

Personally, I'd be tempted to install AOL9 again, then uninstall it normally, *then* hunt for debris. (Oh, then I'd get some imaging software – TrueImage, Drive Snapshot, that sort of thing – to save this kind of hassle in future ;).

As for holding up the Google Toolbar as a model of virtue, I don't know that we'd be so happy about silent, obligatory version upgrades from many other suppliers. Even MS and AOL don't try to force (i.e. take it or leave it) that tactic on their users.

And for years (until v3 final) the Google Toolbar installed the file/registry structure for the Google Compute distributed computing module (not the module itself) without a word to users, let alone seeking their consent (which is uncomfortably close to what KaZaA did with *its* distributed computing module).

Google evil?

Milly

18 years ago #

Yeah, I agree it's possible I messed up the uninstallation of AOL9 – I was figuring the AOL9 Removal Tool was supposed to do that, but now that you mention it, a manual uninstall first may well be necessary. (Yeah it would have been nice if that Removal Tool would tell me so when it's running...)

Note however that my problem with AOL9 (and why I wanted to uninstall it in the first place) was that it was heavily bundled, and I couldn't get it out of my system tray. That's what I mean with "AOL Evil?", not the messy uninstall.

Sure Jadcherla [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

I agree. Not only does it add unwanted things to the computer, but it also slows the computer down.

Kimspitstop.dk [PersonRank 7]

18 years ago #

Bundleware :o(

ex: 1

This program will help you to get rit of all kind
off unwanted crap-files installed on your harddisk
in a easy way (see screen)

http://home6.inet.tele.dk/anton/Easycleaner.htm

ex: 2
How to remove programs in the start menu: (system tray)

Hit the Start button, Open Run, Write regedit, Find folder

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESoftwareMicrosoft WindowsCurrentVersionRun

+ folder "Runservices"

Now you have the ability to remove unwanted program
or ad programs you want to "start up" together at the computer start :O)

Regard´s
KAH

Ted Jankowski [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

Well No one at AOL knows how to completely remove AOL 9.0 So far I haven't been able to do it either. Tech support couldn't do it. Once they get it on your computer they have no desire to let your remove it.

sarlac [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

WTF that aol9 remover killed my friends computer... he cant even get on here to complain

Rolland Jenkins [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

Sarlac...

I had the EXACT same problem today. The AOL9 Remover caused problems with the registry and corupted a bunch of files.

It's at the shop now...should be fixed for about $125.00.

Meme [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

Yes, AOL is evil.

jim [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

i had to go into my regestry and manualy remove everything under aol
and search my hard drive for aol and america online and manualy remove it all the high speed you have to find in programs/comon files and it has its own uninstall also with the computer checkup witch has its own also but still the aolshcpy.dll remains

Justin Pfister [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

What a bummer! A bunch of computer smart people all so frustrated about AOL. And what’s even more upsetting is that the very uninstall tool that distributed in AOL related companies doesn’t even work. Do these people understand what they are doing? It's a good thing they seem to leave AIM alone so it can do its own thing. It is very light and easy on my system at least.. Well scratch that, the latest AIM upgrade seems to run native on some AOL looking platform. It was so scary I uninstalled it and ran to trillian.

SiqBeatZ.com [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

++++++

People, Here it is, the correct way to unistal AOL 9.0 SE

First do the obvious. Control Center> Add/Remove Programs> Uninstal AOL. This will remove the BS that the program installs. I believe there is 4 optional programs that are available to remove at this point. The Virus Scan crap, and 3 other items that you check to have removed. After it is removed RESTART YOUR COMPUTER!

After you computer boots up, go back to the same place and remove the other 4 AOL products that are in the list. AOL DIALER, AOL Photo Album, AOL Connectivity Services, and some other odd AOL program. You will see the "Uninstall AOL" option still, but first remove this crap. RESTART COMPUTER after you have removed these items!!

Now one last thing! After reboot, Go back to that "Uninstall AOL" in the Add/Remove Programs section. You should only have one AOL item in your list at this point. That Item is the "Uninstall AOL" option with the little annoying AOL icon. Click on that baby one last time!

Now the screen will read "searching for AOL crap" while it is doing that pay close attention to the bottom right corner of your monitor where the time is, this area is called the "notification area". Here you will find programs that are running in the background. Here you will also see a new icon appear as the AOL Unistall is "searching" for whatever it is searching for. RIGHT CLICK ON THIS NEW ICON THAT APPEARS. A menu pops up and asks you what AOL product you want to uninstall. If you already removed every damn addon AOL sneaks on your computer, then you should only have one choice..." AOL 9.0 SE"

Check this box, and click uninstall.. reboot and voila, gone. Check your add/remove programs and you will not see anything, well, unless you decided to keep AIM, which I did, as it is how 75% of the world comunicates these anti-social days.

I briefly went through the registry and did not see any left over AOL crap.

Oh yea, Before I unistalled ANYTHING.. I deleted all the icon links on the desktop just to be safe as I read someone ran into a problem that they were unable to delete the icon once the program was removed. This probably wouldn't be the case, but why not take a small precaution to prevent a future potential headache.

If you need any help, I may be on AIM, SiqBeatZ.

++++++

Oh yea, 1 more thing. If you go to the Start Menu, then to "Search" then "files or folders" Search "My Computer" and type AOL in the "all or part of a file name" field and type: AOL

This will pull up anything on your computer that is AOL related. You will be amazed where they hide install files and random crap. Delete it right from this screen. I had about 40 AOL related items to remove. Some were folders AOL created for saved items, some were Install files in case you change your mind and want to reinstall (HAH!!!) and some are documents with AOL script that you dont want. I deleted it all, restart my PC, and it's blazing fast again. YAY for AOL sucking the fat one.

Siqbeatz

matt d [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

I was fixing my friend's pc.. I uninstalled AOL 9.0 and also every craps through WinXP install/uninstall. After reboot the system. I deleted rest of craps in "Program Files". Guess what happened!? AOL swiped Internet Explorer and Outlook Express in it's death wish. I click Start-- Internet Explorer" and it only pop up IE setup window. I even checked thru Program Files to find spare Iexplorer.exe there. NONE. Not even search list. I decide to Start--Run and typed Iexplore. Ran it and did finally run IE but AIM News took control of IE and prevented me from changing homepage. I tried to type URL and it won't go into website that I typed. Sheesh. I will have to reformat hard drive and do over again. Don't install AOL!!! AOL is PURE EVIL! They do leave craps and revenge on ur pc if you removed it. PC belongs to u, not AOL and they shouldn't screw on everyone pc. Why can't we all have landmark lawsuit agains AOL to stop messing up our pc!!!! If u still keeps AOL, best use Web email on AOL.com as long as you are using broadband. Dial up users are purely out of luck!! Use Trillian for aim!!

Thanx

sierramuse [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

I inadvertently agreed to updates by aol and they removed my classic 9.0 and replaced it with the security edition which I hate, slows down my computer and more or less infects it. the program deleted the previous aol version and now I can't do system restore to get rid of the se version. I contacted aol and was lied to--they told me that the other version should still be on my computer, but it's not and I am tempted to cancel my account, but I hear that is near impossible as well. Isn't there a way around this company and their viral tactics? If they can take over my computer, what's next? 666?

bladeoflight16 [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

I don't know aout 9.0, but I recently had to wipe my sister's computer due to massive infections. (Due to her insecure practices; she doesn't even use AOL.) I discovered that once restored to its original state, AOL 8.0 is on the computer. There's no other crud related to AOL on the computer that I can find, but their stupid uninstaller says, "No installed versions of AOL could be found on your system." ......... So, I looked around and went into AOL's Program Files folder. What do you know? There's an "Uninstall" icon in there. It was the same thing that I tried through the Add/Remove programs. >_> Any hope AOL had of ever making me a custom is long gone now.

sgtpepperb4 [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

I have aol 9.0 limited addition.I basicaly was brow beaten and tricked into installing their security.Yes,everything went to hell in a handbasket.I went to,oddly,aol keyword search-aol uninstaller and found I was far from alone.My comp also froze three times and had to be hardstarted,while I was reading the horror stories and solutions.Coincidence??????? I wonder?
   Some have said the installer doesnt work or is nonexistant.In my case it worked and aol security is gone and the probs.have gone.My Gateway comp came with a 6mo.free trial for aol(duh me),so when that runs out,I will tackle the dragon's head.
   P.S.Aol owns CNN and Netscape so be careful when ya jump.You may jump out of the frying pan,into the frying pan.Good luck

Joyce [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

Help New Gateway Laptop has AOL and everytime I uninstall it the pc comes back up but everything on desktop is BLANK except for the picture....what do I do so I can install and run BellSouth..

NateDawg [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I would recommend http://www.castlecops.com/ . Although this AOL technicially isn't spyware, this forum is the place to go when you want to remove something from your computer. Good Luck.

ReknapS [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

Sigbeatz,
That almost worked for me. I installed AIM Triton, only to find that it had installed AOL Explorer as well!!!!! ARRGGGGG!!!
After unistalling everything through their Uninstaller app, I still find the uninstaller app in my add/remove list. When I run it, it doesnt find anything.
I tried right clicking the little icon in the notification area, but it doesnt do anything when I right or left click it.
Why cant I get rid on the AOL Unistaller???? I HATE AOL!!!!!!
(All I wanted was AIM... You IDIOTS!!!!)

digthiscogirl [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

I am going to try the remove that SiqBeatZ.com has suggested, I was going to try People PC at one time and they said that their techs were they only people who were able to completely remove AOL from a PC. However I don't want to sign up for People PC just to remove AOL. They told me that AOL takes over and installs their own modem drivers into the system, so pretty much it sounds like they hack into peoples computers and are very hard to remove once they have taken over. Maybe we need an exorcist?????? AOL is the DEVIL!!!! And as for using AIM, wouldnt that also mess up a computer??

AlabamaBoy [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

I hate AOL. With passions.

I uninstalled everything. I thought.
But when I select and right-click text, there's a menu option for AOL Toolbar Search. How can I get rid of this? Do I have to do some voodoo in the Registry?

Liza [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

Oh my goodnes I thought my computer was finally going after 5 years but now I know it was AOL and that darn 9.0 Security Edition. Well I had to system restore my computer and lost all my programs like quickbooks and microsoft office, I had to reinstall everything I do a search for AOL and like 500 things come up on my computer the uninstall tool is hiding somewhere I cant find it. AOL has my computer hostage!!!

Nan [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

Oh my god this is a nightmare. One day there it was on my computer and would not let me into my netscape browser. Now I have this thing on my computer. Because my computer slowed down so muchhhhhhhh. I called RR and they are saying do a recover disk because it it such a problem to get rid of Aol, What! AOL should get a class action suite for all the time you and I are spending trying to get rid of them. How dare they get away with this. They are just hackers that need to be investigated. Where are you FBI / CIA?

The Future [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

Withen next month there will be a Totall Uninstaller utility for AOL 9.0. I will come back here with the info, hopefully sooner than later.

This is my word.

For Now [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

Uninstall from add/remove. If you cannot do that find the aol installer for your OEM (DELL, TOSHIBA) on their website and install/uninstall it.

download registry cleaner and search for "AOL" "AMERICA ONLINE" and delete all of the keys. Be carefull to scan through the "AOL" findings as it is possible to have keys such as sadkfjsAOLakflsakfdj (not capped).

Open windows search and enable find hidden files in the settings, search for "aol" and "america online" and delete all findings, again be carefull with the "aol" findings.

Run a registry cleaner to clean the registry, it will find things that depended on the aol entries. Run the cleaner again.

This will help you some, for now.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!