Google Blogoscoped

Forum

OpenSocial will need limited HTML?

DPic [PersonRank 10]

Saturday, November 3, 2007
16 years ago2,573 views

So my friends and i got into a debate about OpenSocial-- he says' that they will need to create some sort of LHTML like FBML otherwise OpenSocial will allow let all OpenSocial sites be like MySpace (you can mess with all the HTML). I didn't think it was true because there must be some other way of limiting how much they can do with the HTML. I don't really know so can someone explain to me if he's right?

Martin Porcheron [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Gadgets are opened in an IFrame (at least they are on Orkut) – dodgy but at least it stops the MySpace effect. This has to be done, not really because of the HTML (that could be parsed through a parser first, for example) but the real issue is the Javascript (XSS).

Martin Porcheron [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Oh, and I call them Gadgets not Apps because they use the Google Gadget API which is used on iGoogle (except you can't use html-inline because of the MySpace effect).

stefan2904 [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Widgets. ;-)

Haochi [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

I think the gadgets will still be iframed, even on Orkut, unless they are from Google.

DPic [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

how will they protect against malicious scripts?

Haochi [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Same Origin Policy: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Same_origin_policy

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!