Google Blogoscoped

Forum

StumbleUpon Hijacking Google Screenspace?

mrbene [PersonRank 10]

Wednesday, November 7, 2007
10 years ago1,957 views

Latest update to the StumbleUpon toolbar puts a "See Friend Reviews" link in the "applications and sign-in" section of Google:

mrbene.net/images/stumbleupona ...

It's the same style as the rest of the links – I wonder how long that'll last.

Stephen Tordoff [PersonRank 10]

10 years ago #

Is that button on all sites, just in a different place?

If so, it could be a side effect of interactions between it's and Google's code to place it there.

If not, I don't think it should be there

David Mulder [PersonRank 10]

10 years ago #

I have been using stumbleupon quite a lot and they do have quite a lot of javascript injections into search engines, but I always click no, at the moment they ask you whether you want it.

mrbene [PersonRank 10]

10 years ago #

David – The difference here is that the 3.15 update puts the "Opt In" button (the "See Friend Reviews" button) in the Google source, instead of prompting with a one-off JavaScript pop-up. In other words, they are now always asking if you want it, until you accept that you do want it.

Voyagerfan5761 [PersonRank 3]

10 years ago #

It shows up in Reader, which is really annoying, since there's pretty much no way StumbleUpon could insert reviews into results (and if it tried, I'd be mad).

Werty [PersonRank 0]

10 years ago #

I just saw this tonight as well. StumbleUpon you are getting disabled from my plugins.

mrbene [PersonRank 10]

10 years ago #

Looks like the version 3.16 provides a method to remove this functionality: "Adds an opt-out close box for the temporary links on search pages and Facebook."

stumbleupon.com/changelog.php

Still, a couple weeks without StumbleUpon, and I'm glad not to be using it anymore. I'm actually getting to sleep an hour earlier, and getting more done.

This thread is locked as it's old... but you can create a new thread in the forum. 

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!